Does an Apple Campus Store have different prices than Apple Education?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Miles Davis, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Miles Davis macrumors member

Hello,

The college my wife works at recently announced that they will soon open an Apple Campus Store, where people can demo models and purchase products. In the press release they also say that: "will allow current and entering students enrolled in both the BFA and Continuing Education programs the ability to purchase Apple technology at below retail and educational discount rates."

Does anyone have any information on what the difference in price might be for a store such as this and the typical Apple Store Education discount? Is there a price list for hardware out there?

Thanks,
    M

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

No. If a campus store is selling below educational cost, then the school is subsidizing the price. How much is up to the school. For example, when Leopard came out it was selling for $80 in my campus store, and anywhere between $70 and $100 in other campus stores I checked.

Lucky you, though. Our campus computer store sells Apple, but they don't discount the hardware.

3. iamvexed macrumors member

The campus store for my university does this, but it is often for equipment that is not the most recent. Apple will sometimes give them a little kick-back to help them move older product, so far as I understand things.

4. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Yes, all the Apple products are a bit cheaper than the normal edu discount. For example, the 2.4ghz aluminum MB is $1439.

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Depends

It all depends on the school.

It also doesn't necessarily mean a school is subsidizing the prices. Who in their right mind would setup several Macs, have a storage room full, and not make a cent profit? School Stores do not sell Macs for cost. They do make some money on them.

Certain schools are allowed to sell below regular education price points for limited times.
    UCLA and other California state-run schools are famous for having some of the best deals, in the past. They would sometimes have prices that were in line with developer hardware discounts, 20-25% off.

BTW
    It's also good to try calling the Apple Education store. Many times, I have gotten discounts that were much better than the online store. Especially if you buy several items like a CPU and a monitor.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the special college store education discounts.

Just seems to depend on stock and time of year.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wait until the Back to school promo. You get a free ipod and printer.

8. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

It really varies. We sometimes sell Mac for slightly under the education discount, and we sometimes give a free printer. Especially when there's a new Rev, we put the previous revision for major discount (like right now).

9. toxic macrumors 68000

at the end of a fiscal quarter, some schools will put computers on clearance, below what Apple sells them for.