Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
@Weaselboy (since I've seen you post a lot about EFI stuff here), if I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with an EFI password, that doesn't prevent someone who has physical access to the computer (i.e., a thief) from physically taking out the hard drive and replacing it with a different one and booting from that, right? I should know the answer to this question as I've replaced my HD before, but I can't remember if upon first boot I had to enter the firmware password.

Basically, am I correct in that the only benefit of having the firmware password is preventing thieves from booting up from other devices connected to the computer? And it wouldn't prevent them from just swapping my password-protected hard drive with a clean one with OS X installed to resell?

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
@Weaselboy (since I've seen you post a lot about EFI stuff here), if I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with an EFI password, that doesn't prevent someone who has physical access to the computer (i.e., a thief) from physically taking out the hard drive and replacing it with a different one and booting from that, right?

It would prevent that. The EFI password locks the system to the current boot drive.

And it wouldn't prevent them from just swapping my password-protected hard drive with a clean one with OS X installed to resell?

An EFI password would prevent this.

Reactions: izzy0242mr

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
@Weaselboy (since I've seen you post a lot about EFI stuff here), if I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with an EFI password, that doesn't prevent someone who has physical access to the computer (i.e., a thief) from physically taking out the hard drive and replacing it with a different one and booting from that, right? I should know the answer to this question as I've replaced my HD before, but I can't remember if upon first boot I had to enter the firmware password.

Basically, am I correct in that the only benefit of having the firmware password is preventing thieves from booting up from other devices connected to the computer? And it wouldn't prevent them from just swapping my password-protected hard drive with a clean one with OS X installed to resell?

The only secure thing you can do is encrypt your drive as Apple (with original receipts) or for around $70 I understand you can get the firmware unlocked and then swap the drive etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.