Does an iPhone eat data up quickly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by canada eh, May 1, 2010.

1. canada eh macrumors regular

I want to get an iPhone 3gs in Canada on Rogers Wireless to replace my Motorola v360. I want to get a small data plan about 500mb. I want to use it for emails and some general surfing on the go. so will the iphone go through the data very quickly or should this be enough.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

The iPhone doesn't "eat up" data, you do.

And you THINK you will just be emailing and doing light surfing, but once you actually have the phone you'll probably be using data related things a lot more.

4. Sulwyn macrumors member

I have a 500 mb plan with fido and the only time I over shot my plan was when I was without a computer for 2 weeks straight and was using it as my primary connection to the online world. I use my iphone mainly for IMing, checking emails and surfing the net. I think I use about half my plan max a month. So 500 mb is more than sufficient.

5. profets macrumors 68040

For what you describe 500MB will be more than enough. I know several people on Rogers with that plan and with email, surfing, and other stuff they rarely hit half of the 500MB.

Also, you can monitor your data usage to see how much you're using and get a good idea if 500 is enough for your use.

6. matttye macrumors 601

That's roughly what I use my HTC Desire for, and that pulls in information from widgets too and I'm not even close to hitting the 500MB limit. You should be fine.

7. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

ok great thanks for the responses! it looks like it will be enough, I got to use my dads that is on Bell and you can monitor the data and if all else fails. You can turn the 3G off am I correct? But it looks like it will be enough, just wanted to be sure.

8. maus macrumors regular

I'm actually considering the 150MB plan from Rogers. I'm also only interested the occasional email and some light surfing. Will 150MB be enough?

9. profets macrumors 68040

I've had some months with moderate email usage and light to moderate web browsing and hit around 130-140MB. Best thing is to give it a try and see if you can stick below 150MB.

10. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

Rogers has a thing going on that you get 2 moths of unlimited data to see what your limits are to give you an idea of what you use on a regular basis.

11. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

500mb is a good amount of data.

I use FB, browse the web, and watch about 1 youtube video a day on 3g.

I use 200MB per month...

If I get into using my slingbox on some months, I can use over 1GB.

---------------------

My friend got an iPad 3g yesterday and used over 60mb of data in one day. But it was its first day. But he was on wi-fi most of the day.

I think its hard to predict each persons use.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Depends on how you use it and what type of things you acess.
    If you stream pandora, sirius, Sling or other internet video or audio alot the data will go quick.
    If you're just browsing online and doing email you will be fine.
    If you're around wifi and use that when at work, school or home it will help alot.

13. Anastacio macrumors regular

Do you guys turn off the 3g when you don't use the online apps on the phone?

I'm going all-out with 10GB plan here in Denmark - I'll use it for Internet, Mail, Messenger, Online Apps and streaming of EyeTV cable-tv which is the one that'll eat up the data.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You could get by, but don't expect to be browsing the net all the time unless you have access to wifi. Give it a shot just monitor your data and bump up the plan if you need to.

No turning 3G off will not stop data. Your phone will switch to EDGE and continue to have access to data.

That being said, I am with rogers and have the 500mb plan and I have only gone over once in the last 8 months or so. I use my phone regularly. If you don't stream music or video you will be fine.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, 10GB a month is way too much for a phone I would think.
    I dont think you will go near that limit.

16. Anastacio macrumors regular

The leading smartphone website here in Denmark suggested going with the 10GB/monthly if I am to stream live-tv through EyeTV. I could go with 1GB?

17. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

My billing cycle started over at 12 midnight today. 12 hours later I check and I'm at 130mb and I was sleeping majority of those 12 hours. Most of it was email, safari and Twitter. I'm sure I'll be at 500mb in 24-48 hours

I did 7gigs last month in data

but I guess if you're limited you will monitor it more

18. cowsrus macrumors 6502

my friend has 5gb a month for her computer
    that's downloads, constant surfing, hulu, youtube, and the sorts
    she rarely breaks 3gb

19. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

So for 3g it looks like I will be fine with 500mb, as long as I try to stay away from audio and video streaming.

20. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I don't know. There are people on here that say their data is 20gig + a month. lol.

21. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

You should be fine as long as you stay off youtube and the app store for the most part.

22. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Could you get the lower plan and upgrade to the higher if necessary? It depends on how much video you end up streaming. 10 gigs sounds like a lot, but I know you could easily dl that much if you're streaming all the time.

23. profets macrumors 68040

130MB in 12 hours while you were mostly sleeping from email, safari and twitter? thats crazy. i've seen people use just email, safari and twitter and hit 130MB in a month.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol my home Internet doesn't use that much per month:)
    I guess some have lots of time and get their moneys worth.

25. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I have no idea what my home is, but maybe 5 gig if that? That's a guess. Yeah, apparently there are many people that get their money's worth from AT&T and the iPhone data plan. Lol.