does an iphone have to be jailbroken to work with t-mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rudetude, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Actually, the answer is no, technically, an iPhone does not have to be jailbroken to work with T-Mobile. It has to be unlocked. You can unlock it via jailbroken apps, or by means of hardware, as in a piggyback SIM. You do not need to jailbreak a phone to unlock it with a piggyback SIM.

3. justinm macrumors member

I have an unlocked iPhone first generation on stock 2.2.1 firmware. Works great!

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

The answer is no. I have an iPhone 3G, never been jailbroken, and I am using T-mobile. It's an unlocked phone from overseas (updates as per usual).

5. rudetude thread starter macrumors newbie

does every t-mobile phone have a sim card? So if i signed up for t-mobile service i could just get the cheapest phone and take the sim out of it and put it into my iphone?

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You could, or you might be able to just get a new SIM card with activation without buying a phone.

7. boleiro macrumors newbie

you don't need to buy a phone to get the sim card. I switched from sprint to Tmobile to use an iphone and I have never had a sim card before. Tmobile sold me a new sim and set up my phone. You don't have to be sneaky about using the iphone on Tmobile. They will set you up. They even provide technical support even though it isn't one of their phones.

8. larapumkin macrumors regular

simple answer

YES and also you need to UNLOCK it.

i used 2g with t-mobile.

9. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Depends

1.1.4 and below no 2.0 above yes use ziphone and just select unlock on 1.x.x on 2.0 upgrade to 2.2.1 jailbreak downgrade baseband in cydia then use yellowsnow also in cydia. You can always downgrade to 1.1.4!