Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Well does it?
I don't know the stands that come with it, will it actually fit on non-Apple lcd's?
cheers (tried searching but couldn't find a thread on it)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Fredstar said:
Well does it?
I don't know the stands that come with it, will it actually fit on non-Apple lcd's?
cheers (tried searching but couldn't find a thread on it)
don't think so ? they fit powerbook's and ibooks and thats about all .

krollster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London
Isn't there talk of a new iSight coming out soonish? If so, maybe you'd be best to wait and see if it might suit a non-apple display better. You'd hope so, given that Apple are encouraging ex PC users to use their existing display...

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Yeh i am waiting, not getting them for the whole family till the summer so fingers crossed they are updated, didn't they come out in 2002??
I wish Apple did a 15 and 17" display for about £350 and £550 so i could get that for the family Mini and there would be no problems.

krollster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London
Fredstar said:
Yeh i am waiting, not getting them for the whole family till the summer so fingers crossed they are updated, didn't they come out in 2002??
I wish Apple did a 15 and 17" display for about £350 and £550 so i could get that for the family Mini and there would be no problems.

There have been a couple of rumours about regarding a new 17 inch consumer display, however it would need to be at the right price point in order to sell well. £550 is way too much when you consider that a G5 imac is only £900. I'd be hoping for somewhere around £350 to £400 if it's a goodun', but cheaper if it didn't have FW or USB hub capability.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
My iSight came with three different mounts:
• magnetic one for the Cinema Displays and, I think, also the G5 iMac.
• thumbscrew model for laptops, which opens to maybe 3/8".
• sticky pad mount for CRTs or other monitors with a flatter, deeper top edge.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Yes, the iSight comes with several mounting clips for the iSight to be mounted in PowerBooks, iBooks, and Apple displays. Not sure if there's a clip that fits the older non-aluminum Apple displays. Apple also sells extra clips in a kit so you can mount the iSight on several displays and not have to take the clips off.

As for fitting on non-Apple displays, I have no idea. The slips are adjustable so you might have some luck. It shouldn't be too hard to fasten a clip or make one for a non-Apple display.

I heard the rumor of new iSights. What would Apple improve? A smaller camera? Faster framerate, better color, USB support? CHEAPER would be nice too.

krollster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London
Pismo said:
I heard the rumor of new iSights. What would Apple improve? A smaller camera? Faster framerate, better color, USB support? CHEAPER would be nice too.

I'd like to be able to videoconference with people in underpriveledged broadband countries such as Australia without them needing to pay a fortune to get a decent upload speed :) Maybe H.264 could help?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
isight compatibility

sorry guys if this isnt appropriate here.

Does the isight work wiv any webcam enabled program on the mac for instant messaging or just ichat?? (such as msn messenger, for video conferencing or simple webcam viewing!!)

Ta guys!!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
That's a good question, because I'd like to know as well. :confused:

I only use MSN messenger (although I have Adium), and I want to buy a webcam for my computer, but am not sure if an iSight is the way to go.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Abstract said:
That's a good question, because I'd like to know as well. :confused:

I only use MSN messenger (although I have Adium), and I want to buy a webcam for my computer, but am not sure if an iSight is the way to go.

well the iSight will work the Yahoo, although without sound, and with iChat, MSN messenger for the mac does not suppore video chats yet so it cant be used with it yet

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Thanks!!

Ye I heard somewhere about Microsoft maybe releasing a new version of messenger for mac with video capabilities at some point, but no indication as when and if it was true. I sure hope so. A release in the next week or two to be with Tiger would make sense!!! (well, sense in letting us not wait anymore and giving apple a few more sales of isights!! -thats if Microsoft make the isight compatible with their new version!!)

I so want an isight over other webcams...style, brand, fixing, quality etc all win me over. I dont really want to go to logitech and use it on my PC. The reason why I havnt got a webcam yet is to wait til I get my powerbook wtih Tiger preinstalled!! (which, fyi, isnt long now!! hehe!!-am I crazy to want to show photos of my new powerbook (first switch) when I get it????!!!!! LOL!!)-(oo, photos I can take with my isight!!! HEHE!! :D )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.