Does an SSD/HDD Upgrade to iMac 27"/21" Void Warranty?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sanjuvarma, Nov 22, 2009.

1. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

It's hard to say for certain but the concensus is that as long as you don't damage anything in the process then your warranty is okay. There doesn't appear to be anything in the terms and conditions for Applecare that specifically says you CAN'T. There's no way for Apple to know that you've disassembled the computer assuming you've been careful in the process

Saying that, I think if you sent in your iMac to AppleCare with an SSD drive installed then I imagine they might use that as a way to deny service since it's not really a 'user serviceable' computer but if that were me I'd just put the original HDD back in.

From the Applecare T&Cs:

However, there have been times in the past where Apple has given an unofficial nod of approval to people opening up computers to install memory etc (Mac Mini is an example I can remember a few years back).

Ultimately it's up to you. I'm going to put my SSD in as soon as my iMac arrives (hopefully today), and I'm confident that if I have any issues I can just put the HDD back in prior to taking it to the Apple Store.

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

You should be ok as long as you're careful. And yes, I'd put the original HDD back in if you need to bring it in for warranty service.