Does Animoji Facial Recognition Affect Face ID Accuracy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boltjames, Nov 18, 2017.

1. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

So I'm loving my iPhone X and Face ID is just an amazing feature.

But my 4 kids and my wife constantly want to play with the Animoji feature and it has me wondering:

Do you think that Face ID is using the learnings from the facial tracking process in the Animoji app to influence how it unlocks the phone?

Thought being, I have the X trained perfectly to detect my face at night, during the day, in bed, with glasses, with contacts, with nothing, with sunglasses, in a jacket, in a cap.....will my daughter playing around with Animoji's on my phone accidentally train my phone to think she's me?

2. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

My understanding is Animoji used True Depth, but not the Face ID tech. This is why people other than you can still use Animoji.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

Animoji only uses the camera sensor. You can put your finger over the true depth sensor and it still works just as accurately. (Which means that this feature could have been rolled out in the OS for all phones but Apple chose to make it X-only.)

4. boltjames thread starter macrumors 601

boltjames

Thanks peeps, much obliged.

5. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Animoji is just an app making use of the Front Facing Truth Depth Camera. It has nothing to do with the Face ID system.

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Wouldn’t a good test of this theory (unsure if fact myself sorry if it is) is to try using Animoji in a very dark extremely low light room. If t can track facial expressions which I riight uses the True Depth (mouth, eyes, forehead, cheeks), then we’ll know that infrared is doing some tracking at the very least.

Anyone want to give a try.

OP great question as I haven’t even considered this until you asked.

7. boltjames thread starter macrumors 601

boltjames

We all got bored with Animoji after a week and haven’t used it since.

8. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

That's not actually true. It's not used constantly, but it is in fact used. It's used when Animoji first starts up and it's used throughout on a periodic basis. A quick Google search of "animoji true depth" revealed the following:

Source
    Source
    Source