Does Antiglare have dust issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Panini, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Panini macrumors regular

So I checked out my friend's anti-glare late 2011 MBP and found that, unlike the glossy model, the bezels were not "part of the screen."

Does this open up the possibility for dust to collect under the bezels? It looks very possible from what I've seen.

I really like the AG for the matte screen but I don't like the bezels (but I do understand it must be that way to have a matte screen).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a problem, unless you happen to work in a dust storm. I've been running a non-unibody matte screen for over 4 years and have no dust accumulation. The new unibodies are even tighter than this one.

3. fattakin macrumors newbie

Mid 2010 here and no dust under the screen, and im not really that caring about it, have no sleeve etc for when its carried around in a backpack. Love it to bits tho, MATTE FTW!

4. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

The lack of glass front was exactly why I went for the AG model. My previous MBP was not AG and after a while, dust collected under the glass front of the screen, which could not be removed.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's not a problem.

The 2006-2008 MBP had no cover glass and they were fine. A quick wipe to remove the dust with a screen wipe is all my 2006 and the new 2011 have ever needed.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

When matte screens used to be standard I owned several. Never had any dust issues, except once when my MBP returned from service. There was a huge dust blob inside the screen. They had to send it back and put a brand new screen on.

The main pain of the matte screen is that you need special screen cleaner or you'll ruin the matte overlay. The glossy screen is more tolerant of regular window cleaner -- but not too often, and spray just a little on a cloth, not directly on the glass.

7. fdrotary macrumors newbie

I have never had dust and I have been using mine in Afghanistan for 2 years. I have to take the back plate off and blow a sandstorm out of my heat sinks once a month too... if that lets you know how bad it is here.