Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I'm surprised there aren't more apps that allow for iphone to iphone communications. Are there any? Maybe over the wifi if they are in the same network? I'm looking for some sort of game, or chat or anything useful that we can do here with a few iphones in the house.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
ScribbleShare let's you write notes or draw on another Iphone/Ipod touch connected to the same network. I don't know how useful it is but my kids like it.

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
what exactly are you asking here? im lost? have you SEEN the app store?

parralel kingdoms allows you to fight people around your area...

im pretty sure any aim application not only lets you itnerface with other people using that aplpication but other people on the iphone that have the application..

there is a game called scramboni i think it is. its a word scramble game

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
On the App Store (sorry, don't have the iTunes linkage, easy to search for this stuff):

PushToTalk allows iPhone to iPhone comms over a network.

WalkieTalkie VOIP does effectively the same thing.

There are some custom made apps also but require the iPhone/iPod touch 2nd gen to be Jailbroken (iPod touch 2nd gen is almost there now)...

JackMaurer

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
why would you need to "push to talk" someone in the same Wifi zone as you - wifi zones aren't THAT big..

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
why would you need to "push to talk" someone in the same Wifi zone as you - wifi zones aren't THAT big..

If you read the OP once again you'll note that person is looking for something to PLAY WITH primarily, in his home, with iPhones (apparently more than one), sooo... I understood it the split second I read it, hence the recommendation, and there are some other App Store apps to do this, the two I listed were the ones rated fairly high.

Besides, if the OP or someone else has an iPod touch 2G they'd be able to play along too if they've got a headset with a mic on it...

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I've actually been wondering about this myself. Apple is pushing this as a gaming device, but one great thing about the Nintendo DS is that a few kids can sit together in the back of a car and play Mario Kart against each other, using the ad hoc wifi. Apple doesn't support this so the only real way to do that is to install a router in the car! That's a bit silly... So I hope Apple does come up w/ a way for phones to "talk" to each other directly.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
spaceballl: you've pretty much nailed it. that was my point exactly, but I get bashed non stop in this thread. macrumors is getting more and more like a 12 yr old playground :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.