iPad Does any body experience eye straining on the new iPad (2017)?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by flowave, Mar 30, 2017.

?

Anybody feeling the eyestrain on the new iPads? (2017)

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. No

51 vote(s)
    51.5%
  3. I'm not sure.

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. Didn't buy it.

33 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. flowave macrumors newbie

I had one macbook air 2011 that caused eye burning sensation after watching for 10 minutes.
    After that I had numerous ipads and macbooks and they were fine.
    Until I faced with these new iPads. I ordered two 32gb and 128gb WIFI versions.

They feel different than other iPads for my eyes. I feel eye straining after looking at them. I will see how it progress, but just wanted to know if anybody else is feeling eye strains.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Nope. No eye strain. At least no more than usual compared to most other iPads.

I think the Pro 9.7 might be easier on the eyes, though.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The 9.7 Pro has Tru-Tone display, which has a much easier transition on the eyes with a more natural tone. However, the new 9.7 iPad is supposedly significantly brighter than the Air 2. Blue light can cause eye strain as well, which warmer tones or Night shift helps with this.

4. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Your supposed to take a break from screens every hour. Are you doing that?

5. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

6. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

The new iPad is significantly warmer in color than the Air 2. If you're using it at max brightness, you'll have a problem. If you're not and still have a problem, get some UV blocker glasses. I have to use them with MacBooks because they're notoriously bad.

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Guessing new iPad doesn't have true tone display?

8. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Nope and by age 20 I'll probably be blind :mad::eek:, not really but electronics have destroyed my eyes.

9. flowave thread starter macrumors newbie

I still feel eye burning sensation after looking at it for 20 minutes. I had iPad air2, air 1, iPad 3, and none of them do this. I can look at them for all day no problem. No I am not using it at full brightness. I don't think night shift helps. It is something with the display that is bothers me. The burning sensation or dryness continues even after not looking at it. There has been numerous devices that caused it for sensitive people since 2008. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1677617?start=60&tstart=0 I
    I think this iPad would be another one on the list for me.

10. digitalexplr macrumors regular

digitalexplr

No problem here. In fact I much prefer the iPad Pro 9.7 screen over my iPad Air 2.

11. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

No eye strain using the Ipad.... but my hand has repetitive strain from using the Ipad.
    These devices are dangerous ;) but at least they don't seem to blow up! :cool:

12. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

That article is specifically talking about PWM, which really can cause a lot of eye irritation because that means the brightness is controlled by pulsing the display on and off at full power. Apple hasn't used PWM dimming in any device in a long time (but get ready for a return to flicker mode with OLED panels, which all currently use PWM).

It's very unlikely that this display uses PWM, but grab a slow motion video of the display and see if you can spot any flickering or "crawling" effect.

13. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You do know the price point these sell at, right?

The question is superfluous.

14. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Used it for two days now a ton. No eye strain whatsoever.

15. Jodiuh macrumors 6502

It's the last thing I would have expected.

I returned an air 2 after using it for a week. I've had a 6S for almost a year. No issues.

I know what a PWM backlight feels like.

After using the new iPad for about an hour my eyes feel terrible. Pain, irritation, dryness, the beginning of a headache...went back to my iPhone and now the pain is started to level out.

I'll give it a little more time, but I'm 90% sure the new model isn't flicker free. Which...sucks. Of all the things for them to screw up.

16. Leo90 macrumors 6502

No eye straining here. Overall I am really impressed with this iPad.

17. 220volt macrumors newbie

18. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    No, and I have 20/30 vision with chronic dry eye and astigmatism in both eyes... I have no issues with the new iPad at all. Obviously YMMV, but I threw in that info on my eyes to add some perspective. ;)

Kal.

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Is there any correlation between eyestrain using the 2017 iPad and being able to spot individual pixels on a retina display that is 5 feet away?

20. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

21. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

OP, you probably have the brightness set too high.

The iPad (2017) is among the brightest at up 500 nits matching the iPad Pro.

22. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

No eye strain here - it's a similar specced screen to the android I had been using; that didn't give me any strain, either.

23. flowave thread starter macrumors newbie

I do believe part of it is brightness issue. It is a bit better bring it down a bit.

But I think it is mainly due to bluer screen.

Still, I find it reading on it is more hard on eyes than air 1.

Attached Files:

24. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Have you tried blinking? :D

Or nightmode? Brightness? Taking a break?

25. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

Bluer? My new iPad screen is incredibly warm. iPad Air 2, now there's a screen that favors a cooler color scale.