Does any company offer motherboard upgrade services?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lovamelin, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Lovamelin macrumors newbie

Lovamelin

I have a Macbook Pro 2015 13" with 8gb of memory. I would like to upgrade it to 16gb but I know you need to replace the entire motherboard to do so. Are there any companies that would allow me to exchange the motherboard and pay an upgrade fee of sorts? Obviously, there would be a charge for the labor involved as well. Thanks.

2. New_Mac_Smell, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017

New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Not sure but I would expect the cost to be too high to justify. You'd likely be at least 2/3rds the way to a new MBP.

Googling around, you're looking at at least $1000 for the board http://www.welovemacs.com/loboformapro.html#top so take off your current one 'refurb' value as labour, and that's what you're stuck with. I don't think you'll find a company offering much in the way of this as it's not going to be a big seller, given that the cost would be greater than the value of the machine. But you never know, just don't expect it to be cheap!

3. Lovamelin thread starter macrumors newbie

Lovamelin

Yeah, I was just wondering if the cost could be offset by some kind of credit for the motherboard they would be receiving in the exchange.

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

It could be but as I said wouldn't be much, it'd probably equate to the cost of labour. So if they sell the board for $1000, they're probably buying them in for $250. And it'll be something like 2-3 hours labour to replace and test (Hopefully only that), plus shipping and handling. Have a Google around as it's going to be something specific to your region, there could be something in US but I don't know where you are.