Does any DVDR drive work with Mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kitki83, Dec 12, 2008.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

2. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Places like New Egg and OWC tell you what devices work with your Mac Pro. Just make sure you know what version you actually have.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It has to be ATA unless you want to disassemble your computer and rout a cable down to one of the open SATA ports.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Tallest Skil was right, but I wanted to add that if it is listed as IDE as your link is, that is still the right type- IDE and ATA are used interchangeably.

The only thing you want to keep an eye on is the fact that IDE/ATA drives do have jumpers on the rear of the drive and you just want to match the setting on the back of your new drive to be the same as on the back of the drive you are removing. Most drives on MPs come set as "CS" for cable select, but I have run into a couple with the jumpers set as "Master". While CS should work on all replacements, make it easy on yourself and if you old one was set to Master, just duplicate that on the new one so there is no question before slapping it back in.

While I am sure the LG drive you linked is fine, I can say without hestiation from experience after installing about 10 of them that the latest generation Pioneer 116 ( [​IMG]here at newegg also) works great in a MP. It also has a much higher 5 star rating at newegg (for whatever that is worth! ;)) for only $2 more.

5. Earl Urly macrumors regular

Pioneers work out of the box because Apple used Pioneers on other Macs until recently.