Does Any iPhone 5S Owners Experience This Behavior?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neverbepeace, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Neverbepeace, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Question to the 5S owners that slightly concerns me. First, when you awake your phone, does it take 5-10 seconds for the 'Slide to unlock" animation to appear? Also, I keep getting "Error performing request Unknown request Error" message at least once or twice a day :confused:

The OS seems kind of glitchy (not so much ios 7 related either)

Did 2 restores without restore from back up and the issue still continues :confused:

I wonder if any other 5S owners ever experienced this type of situation.

2. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I don't know anything about the error you're experiencing, might be something you need to report to Apple or take your phone into an Apple Store. However, the delay you've noticed before the 'slide to unlock' sign comes up was a feature added in a later build of iOS 7 for 5S users. It's basically a presumption that you'll be using the fingerprint sensor to unlock your phone and it doesn't need to tell you to slide. If you hang around though, it'll give you instructions i.e. slide to unlock. So yeah, that's not a glitch, that's a 'feature'.

3. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Thanks for the heads up....when I called apple, they never heard of the problem with the lock screen lol.

Here is the pic of the message I keep getting.

Attached Files:

4. zmon macrumors member

Did you restore from a backup perhaps?

As for the slide to unlock delay, its a feature for us 5S owners as the others said.

5. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Nope....restored set up as new and still get the same message. Like I said....only pops up once or twice a day at random.....not doing anything out the ordinary.

Although, last week when I plugged my phone in after it died, It normally takes 1-2 mins for the phone to come back on. Well, it was sitting on charge for a good 40 mins and still didn't come on. Tried my iphone 5 charger and it started up in 1-2 minutes :confused:

Took it to apple along with the charger and everything was fine. Rep said "That happens sometimes....it would take awhile for the phone to come back on after a dead battery" In my head I'm like "Yea ok....blowing smoke up my ars" Out of all the iphones, androids ect that I've owned, not once did it sit on charger for close to an hour before it started. Also, mine never started lol. Anyway, the charger has been acting ok since then...but I wonder if these 2 issues are related.......not sure if this is a hardware issue or not.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Never had that happen on mine & never heard of it happening a any of my friend's iPhones.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The first is normal. With 7.0.3, they changed lock screen behavior for the 5s. Since you have Touch ID, it doesn't make sense to show "Slide to unlock," therefore, they've set it to appear after a few seconds of waking but not unlocking.

As for the second issue, I have no idea.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Sounds like you need to visit the local genius bar.

They'll say to go home and restore-as-new, but you've already done that. There's something wrong.

9. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

5-10 sec delay for slide to unlock is normal. It was part of an update.

10. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Does anybody read the posts before they reply? Everybody posts the same thing. I guess I'll follow the leader.

The slide to unlock is set to delay because of the fingerprint reader. The second problem I don't know why it's doing that.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

The second issue almost seems like you are getting some sort of a Flash SMS message sent to your phone by the carrier or someone with that content (to what end it don't know, perhaps it's in relation to something, perhaps it's a mistake of some sort, perhaps weird spam of some type). Is there anything in particular that you are doing right before that message comes in--perhaps you just finish a call or sending or receiving a message or something like that?

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

13. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

A few times the phone was in my pocket.....took it out to check it and the message would come up....other times it will happen if I'm browsing or in an app. Nothing I'm doing out the ordinary that i can go off of. Definitely weird.....

Also, any 5S owners experience not charging? I mentioned earlier that when my phone died, I plugged it in and it never came back on......it was plugged in for a good hour. Happened twice......but Apple "genius" said its normal for that to happen sometimes. Anybody go through that as well?

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd take that in to Apple...I've had my 5S since launch and it's never exhibited that kind of behaviour.

Before taking it in, you could try a full DFU restore and see if that clears it up.

15. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Thanks.....did it. I doubt it will do anything. Something funky going on with this phone.

16. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Agreed on this however seems like the message is "outgoing" and the cell provider cannot decipher the code hence the return message ...

Here's how to replicate ... using phone dial ##2222222# and you will get that message because the cell provider doesnt have any action linked to that code

17. sethlution macrumors regular

I agree that it has something to do with the carrier or sim card. My friend had the exact problem on his iPhone 4, so he got a new sim card and everything was back to normal. You could try inserting a different card for a while to see if this clear your problem

18. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Will try. Thanks! Have an appointment with apple today. While I hope to fix the error messages, the dead battery not charging is a bigger concern for me. Let's see what happens.....

19. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Just got back from the apple store. They swapped it for me. Was stumped on the error message. The charging issue they blame it on the 5S having a bigger battery so thats why sometimes it would take a long time for the phone to boot up from a dead battery :confused:

Sometimes I feel they make up ish on the fly.......