Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I've had my iOS 7 jailbreak since it came out around Christmas time and I've noticed my ios devices slowing down or messing up a bit. For example, it's slower in the sense as it doesn't feel as fluid as an iOS update, or a brand new jailbreak. Perhaps my personal biggest issue (what's yours?) is how frequently it reboots into safe mode; pretty much on a daily basis.

I don't know if I'm crazy or if others go thru the same issue. I'd restore and re jailbreak my device but I'd lose all my photos considering I don't have a computer to back things up to... But that's not the issue.*

*I back up most of my pics and videos with Dropbox

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've had my iOS 7 jailbreak since it came out around Christmas time and I've noticed my ios devices slowing down or messing up a bit. For example, it's slower in the sense as it doesn't feel as fluid as an iOS update, or a brand new jailbreak. Perhaps my personal biggest issue (what's yours?) is how frequently it reboots into safe mode; pretty much on a daily basis.

I don't know if I'm crazy or if others go thru the same issue. I'd restore and re jailbreak my device but I'd lose all my photos considering I don't have a computer to back things up to... But that's not the issue.*

Nope. You can make sure this is the case by:

- routinely checking the CPU usage of all daemons / processes via "top" (make sure you order the tasks via pressing "o" and, then, entering "CPU")

- routinely checking for (and deleting them) temp files. It's tens or hundreds of thousands of files in the file system that greatly slow down the device during iTunes synching, according to my own benchmarks done on "virgin", non-JB'n iPad 3's.

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
Personally the Jailbreak made my iPhone 5 faster and more fluid overall, if the Jailbreak is utilized properly it can speed up your device instead of slowing it down. People generally jump to install every tweak out there, leave the ones they don't need installed and taking system resources and then complain that the Jailbreak ruined their device - drained their battery life etc.. iCleaner is a nice tweak that helps you safely disable launch daemons, clean junk from your iPhone and keep it neat.

monkeysoncrunk

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
limit urself to a handful of tweaks.
dont install custom themes.
dont install 2 or more tweaks that try to do the same thing.

i jb only to use bitesms and to play the occasional rom whenever i get bored.

your phone will be just as fast as it was when u jailbreak it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No, and I have around 50 tweaks installed.
^^Same.

If your device is going into Safe Mode it's because of a tweak conflict, not because the jailbreak has slowed down your device.

Just be careful what you install.

Last edited:

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
It might eventually slowdown if you install 100 themes and 20 launchers on it. Only install the tweaks you need and actually use and I guarantee you will be fine and your phone won't slow down, on the other hand if you go installing all the tweaks you see because they seem cool, you might have some problems...

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey

clear out the garbage with icleaner then do a hard reset

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Nope. Anytime I think a tweak is causing any sorts of problems (and it's only happened a couple times), I go through and uninstall until I find the culprit. It's usually either one I installed recently, a less-well-known one (the ones that get talked about all over the internet tend to be pretty stable, or else so many people wouldn't be recommending them), or the most recent case was I installed SBSettings after upgrading to ios 7 without noticing that it's not ios 7 compatible.

90+% of the time, my iPad has been running fine jailbroken. Actually, the biggest problem I've noticed is the battery running down faster since I installed ios 7 - and I know that's not jb-related b/c I didn't jb for a couple months after I upgraded. But it *may* be related to the Sims Freeplay addiction I started around the time of the upgrade...

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Nope.

It happens if you keep installing new tweaks that might affect the device.

Dark Souls

macrumors newbie
Hello, new user here!

I want to ask about jailbreak and iOS 7.0.4 on iPhone 5S. I only used the evasion jailbreak 1.08 i haven't installed nothing on cydia. I only did the jailbreak and istalled the cydia.

Now is this way my phone slow down? because i have a feeling i think it's a bit slower than before jailbreaking it? Though i see more smooth the animetion though menus or at multitasking it feels like been a bit slower and more smoother than before? But the speed opening an app isn't affected.

So my question is that the jailbreak i have done, is slowing down my divice?

Thank you.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
The same slow-down can happen in the official iOS App Store, when you install several hundreds of apps. For example, the background app refresh can become significant in tying up the resources.

Dark Souls

macrumors newbie
my phone is near stock the apps that iOS has installed and 5-6 apps like gmail a calender and 4 angry birds. that's all my applications.

I don't know if the fact that i have 12GB of music is a factor and cause i am taking many photos when i am going and inspect buildings complex etch.

The only tweak i want to install is NoSlowAnimation and a tweak that will clean this annoying update reminder (the red annoying circle with the number 1) at the Settings icon.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
and a tweak that will clean this annoying update reminder (the red annoying circle with the number 1) at the Settings icon.

I posted instructions to remove the "1" inside the settings app at the link below. To remove the badge, install Remove Badges from Merlin. Run it once to clear the badge. Then you can uninstall the tweak (and any dependencies you don't need it installs like for exampl activator). Let me know if you have any questions. Instructions should be pretty clear though but let me know if they're not.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20428130/

Dark Souls

macrumors newbie
I posted instructions to remove the "1" inside the settings app at the link below. To remove the badge, install Remove Badges from Merlin. Run it once to clear the badge. Then you can uninstall the tweak (and any dependencies you don't need it installs like for exampl activator). Let me know if you have any questions. Instructions should be pretty clear though but let me know if they're not.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20428130/

I think i get it.

Thank you!

If any new update like iOS 8.2 will this appear again i assume?

So i will do the same way that you mentioned at the post of the link just like i did now?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I think i get it.

Thank you!

If any new update like iOS 8.2 will this appear again i assume?

So i will do the same way that you mentioned at the post of the link just like i did now?

You are very welcome. No they will not reappear if you are jail broken. The jailbreak disables OTA from checking with Apple if there is an update available. This has been the case for a while now, but I'm not 100% sure Taig does this too. I assume they do but I haven't got confirmation.

If it does appear then yes, you can follow these same steps. However, if it does reappear, then you'll want to install a tweak like Software Update Killer to disable the OTA checking the apple servers (there are several tweaks that do this. Not sure what is updated since they're completely unnecessary when the jailbreak automatically disables OTA :))

Dark Souls

macrumors newbie
You are very welcome. No they will not reappear if you are jail broken. The jailbreak disables OTA from checking with Apple if there is an update available. This has been the case for a while now, but I'm not 100% sure Taig does this too. I assume they do but I haven't got confirmation.

If it does appear then yes, you can follow these same steps. However, if it does reappear, then you'll want to install a tweak like Software Update Killer to disable the OTA checking the apple servers (there are several tweaks that do this. Not sure what is updated since they're completely unnecessary when the jailbreak automatically disables OTA :))

OK! Thank you very much again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.