Does any one else think that these forums could be more effecitve if split?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mikes70mustang, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

There, no more writing to encourage any more impromptu ethics speeches.

Ok, nevermind, bad idea. Just trying to stir the pot. Get something good going. Not trying to excite the often abrasive commentators.

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

segregation would set us back 70 years as a society.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have no problem at all with how its laid out now

the community focuses on content and sharing of info, not geographical concerns. if we split it the way youd like, the help base wouldnt be as effective

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It's fine the way it is now. You still have to think about all the "newbies" that come on here posting in the wrong sections anyways. Separating even more will only make it worse.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This thread would probably be more appropriate in the 'Site Comments' area.

That being said, I like how it is now. It's interesting seeing how different the experience is across borders. I see no reason to institute segregation.

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Aren't macs the same worldwide?

It seems the confusion comes mostly when people from outside the US ask a question and don't specify they're outside the US, and someone from the US assumes that they are, so there's not a good matchup. The better solution would be for people to explain where they are if it's likely to be relevant.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do people in Europe or Asia have different problems or issues? I think not. Why do you want to separate the furriners? What sense would it make it duplicate so many issues and posts? I think this is an epic fail of an idea.

9. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Hmm, true. And come on bigjnyc, was that comment really necessary?
    And i also like the assumption of many that "newbie" means no knowledge and vast inexperience. But if not new section, seems like this site needs a redesign. I find myself sifting aimlessly though useless forums looking for a useful one. Or that has one where sum one knows something and isnt just talking outa their butt. Dont be scared of change. Whats wrong with a easier experience?

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Isn't that pretty much the definition of newbie?

11. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Im implying that there are knowledgeable "newbies" here. And many are dismissed b/c they didnt join 6 months ago or whatever like someone else. They need an aptitude test pertaining to computers when joining haha So then you can tell who can be useful and who needs a helmet:p

12. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I don't think it should be split. It's good to be able to see what others are doing around the world without having to either go to a completely different section or a new site.

I do however think that the search feature could be a tad better. It would be nice if you put in keywords that it could look up in the title of the thread as well as in the the thread itself. If this is possible or a setting than I apologize for not seeing it..

13. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yes, exactly, sumthing to more effectively search and find. As long as it doesnt end up like google where u get 99% junk and the 1% of what you need after hours and hours of searching:D

14. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Exactly, how could this help make the boards more productive?
    Does it mater if some one is giving advice and input. From from France Or Kuwait?

We members, are all of different color, race, religion, rich, poor, Sane and insane. experienced and inexperienced. But we all share one thing in common. Which is our interest and dedication to the mac, and this community.

It's interesting reading about issues fellow mac users have from around the world
    Here is a post about VAT
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=609492

Here two posts down on the same mac pro user's thread is a guy from the middle east
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=609492

15. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Ok, i should have put a disclaimer. This is just a simple idea i was just THROWING OUT THERE. I dont need an ethics or beauty of mix race lecture. Im just putting stuff out there to build on an idea, hear pros cons about it. I should have named the thread somthing like "ways to improve experince- Ideas?"