Does any one use gmail as their main mail account?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TheOriginalKi, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TheOriginalKi, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I currently use Hotmail as I've had my address for nearly a decade. I do also have a Gmail account that I simply forward to my hotmail - however I have been considering making the Gmail my default account. Is there any way to get labels, delete and archive working with the mail app? I.e... the same sort of way they work in the gmail android app (I had a HTC Desire before). If not I'll just stick with Hotmail.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You can set up a Gmail account on your iPhone, either POP or Imap. Works great!

3. ctbear macrumors 6502a

There is no way to assign labels to emails. You can sync them as folders, but that's all you can do.
    I really wish Apple could update their mail app. Some of the stock apps are kind of lagging behind competitors (look at the Maps app).

4. TheOriginalKi thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that, I'm just worried about labels, archiving and deleting - it just doesn't seem to be able to handle it well.

This confuses me. What if an email as two labels... does it happen in two folders?

Would be nice to see an update on it soon but I don't see them wanting to play ball with gmail, which is a shame!

5. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

Yes you can add labels to mail through GMAIL if you set it up through an exchange account on your iPhone. When you are in mail and moving an email just select the folder that has the label you want and it will apply it to your email when it is moved. Don't set it up as POP3 or IMAP, do exchange. Instructions here. Also I sync my calendars and contacts through GMail. So if I lose my phone or it stops working my contacts are saved on Gmail.

6. TheOriginalKi thread starter macrumors 6502

How well do you find that works? What about mail that you want to apply two labels too? Or is that asking too much? What about mail that already has two labels applied via gmail on a pc? Does that then appear in two folders? One more question - can you both archive AND delete from your iPhone when setup this way?

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I use a google domain account and it works flawlessly with my iPhone and iPad. I also have mine setup using Exchange ActiveSync so it also syncs my contacts and calendars - just set it up as an exchange account and use the following settings:
    server: m.google.com
    domain: leave blank
    user name: full email address
    password: your password

All my labels appear as folders (you can choose folders to push or simply browse them when you want to). Delete also works perfectly (goes into the trash folder on the phone). The only thing that doesn't work is the archive option. If you have a mail with two labels it appears in two folders

8. mst0192 macrumors member

i use mailroom instead of the stock email app