Does any one use MacBook Pro Retina for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Persian-apple, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Persian-apple macrumors member

Some videos say batman arkham city. Crashes on retina but some of them say no it works so please tell me games you played on it and your thnk about it please

2. royal shrimp macrumors member

yes i do,

i play:
    Wow: 2880x1800, settings: good FPS: 30
    diablo 3: 1650x(i forget) settings: all high(no AA) FPS: 40~
    Starcraft 2: 2880x1800: Settings: all ultra(besides shadows) FPS: 60
    CS:GO: 2880x1800 Settings: maxed out FPS: 60

average temps:(I'm european so i use Celsius) CPU: 95
    GPU: 70-80
    FANS: 5500RPM(VERY QUIET)

installing windows soon, gonna try BF3, BFBC2, AC3, SWTOR, and many more!

this machine is more than capable when it comes to gaming, just not necessarily at 2880x1800.

hope this helps!

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

4. Ryukouki macrumors regular

I can promise you that my early 2011 2.3 GHz i5 with its lousy Intel HD Gfx 3000 can run SWTOR on minimum settings with about 30 FPS. :) Your Retina should be a beast. I can also run Guild Wars II at a similar FPS.

5. Abbas macrumors member

Running Diablo 3 at full 2880 resolution. Just turned of AA (no need as you have a super-high res display on 15") and shadows and the game runs really well.

6. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

I've played Sims 3 on Windows 7 via Bootcamp but it ran far too hot for my liking so I'm going to install it on my OS X partition and see if it runs any cooler; I will sacrifice FPS for a cooler laptop on my lap!

7. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I've played arkham city for a few hours and it ran just fine. I ran splinter cell conviction and it ran fine. Mirrors edge runs fine and The witcher 2 runs fine.

It's all about tweaking settings for the best performance. But most of the game I mentioned were played with high-max settings at 1920x1200 except for the witcher 2.

8. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i play all sorts of games on it..

WoW
    CS 1.6 :)D)
    Half-Life
    Batman AC
    Skyrim
    BF3
    L4D2
    Crysis 2

and no problems at all, everything looks and runs great :)

i have uploaded a few videos on my channel: www.youtube.com/MikeyZeov if you wanna see how it looks :)

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Any updates on your Windows install and BF3?

10. SchuettS macrumors 6502

BF3 works great for me, no issues. I probably have over 100 hrs of multiplayer gameplay. 1440x900, auto settings w fps over 60. You can up the res but sacrifice fps obviously but I think it looks great where I have it.

11. daemonskank macrumors newbie

rMacbook Pro 2.7 ghz 16gb RAM - Gaming

I have a Retina Macbook Pro 2.7ghz with 16gb ram and 750 ssd.

I bought Witcher 2 from the Mac store, i found it completely unplayable even at the lowest settings. some people found it ok, but who wants to have a rmacbook pro 2.7 16gb to run games at the lowest settings?

i emailed the mac store told them my issue and they immediately refunded my money for the game.

i am now thinking of setting up windows 7 bootcamp and buying the game from steam and trying again.

i also have half life 2, call of duty black ops and they both play ok.

this is my 2 cents.

12. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

Have you installed the latest MBP update ver 2.0?

I have witcher 2 on steam and before installing the update my experience was pretty much like yours. But the update has made a huge improvement. Its roughly within 5-10 fps of the bootcamp version now at the same settings.

13. djantrax macrumors newbie

I have only bought a couple games so far as I haven't had mac very long, but I run Medal of Honor, the 2010 one , at 1920 x 1200 all settings on high at a steady 45 - 50 fps drops abit below if there is loads happening at once but runs very smooth. I also play home front with similar results. Both portals run very well but they are not very demanding games

14. tarjan macrumors regular

Borderlands 2 in mac native works rather well. Great game too.

Only drawback is that aspyr is still working on parity between windows and mac software versions, so you cant play mac + pc co-op yet, but that is just around the corner.

15. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

I use the retina as my main gaming computer at the moment, and it's peforming much better than i thought.

Heres the games i play on it:

Arkham city does not crash for me, so i play that too.
    World Of Warcraft
    CS:GO
    CS 1.6
    BF 3
    Crysis 2
    L4D2
    HL 2

all games are playable, though games like BF and crysis need to be turned down to low-medium, but what did you expect :)

i have a 120 Hz gaming monitor connected and keyboard + mouse so it feels like a desktop.

my Retina is:

2.6GHz
    16GB Ram
    768 SSD
    650M 1GB

16. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

I've been looking at the demos from Feral Interactive. They are all amazing. Fantastic graphics and brilliant frame rates.

Dirt 2 was the most amazing to me. The puddles look real, with ripples and reflections, and when you switch to in-car, there are reflections on the bonnet too!

Just need to try my force feedback wheel, as I believe I'll need to install a kek (whatever that means) and then I think I'll be buying F1 2012 from them.

17. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

I haven't tried anything crazy but it runs SC2 at 60 fps and League of Legends at 40-60 fps...I play league quite a bit tho.

18. teeejay macrumors regular

Lol? I have MBPr but it is nearly unplayable at this resolution. Definetely not 60 FPS.

I played it all low 2880x1800 and it is not playable at late game. Or for my needs, Master League.

Screenshot during gameplay or it did not happen :)