does any usb hub support 2 auto-powered external hard drives + many peripherals?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bubulol, Jan 7, 2014.

1. bubulol, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

bubulol macrumors 6502

hey i am wondering if any usb hub can handle 2 external hard drives + many others stuffs that require some power
    of course it has to be auto-alimented by itself
    lets see if i get usb hub with 7 ports which i really needs:

- wireless mice (own logical receiver, i dunno if it drains more than bluetooth)

- usb external keyboard

- print

- dock for charging my phone

- 2 external 2'5 hard drives

- two last ports for charging my other devices (mostly headsets)

if it works, how much power (for battery life) do you think will it drain?

thanks

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I give...what is that supposed to mean?

Too much for a bus powered hub. You need a hub with an external power supply.

3. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

auto powered sorry for my mistake
    yes, i was talking about hub with external power supply
    i currently own one in USB 2.0 for my desktop computer and i have some transfer data issue when i connect print + others peripherals
    i cant transfer data or sending data pretty slow when it works

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Alimentation is a French word for Power Supply. This happens sometimes if an auto language translator is used. OP may be French is my guess.

Whenever I try to use them on an unknown word I try to back translate as well to see if the original translation made any sense - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

With a mouse and keyboard you might get some latency through a hub. Only way to know is to test them.

Powered hubs don't really give specs on how much each port can deliver with multiple devices. I'm sure some are better than others.

I'm not sure what you mean by "battery life" if you're talking about a hub with an external power supply.

6. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

i m more concerned about hard drive issue (transfer data)
    about hub, i meant if i connect all those peripherals, will my laptop drain significantly battery life?
    it should drain some battery life but i do not know how much

----------

yes i am french, i ve made mistake, some english and french words derive from same latin root but could mean differently
    its about to confuse me when i am writting in english :p

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

No problem.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I suppose having the externals would cause a minimal amount of drain as the laptop has to deal with them. However, if you've got a powered hub why would you not connect the laptop to power?

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That's more crap to carry around than normal, portable office I guess. Why would anyone carry around two external HDDs?

Assuming it's a MacBook Air (or any laptop) the OPs battery drain will be significant.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I should also have mentioned that it also runs an Asus Blu Ray drive too..very good value for money. It has illumination to indicate what ports are in use as well.

12. blueroom, Jan 9, 2014

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I think the OP is aiming for battery only operation. Printers & HDDs will happily chew through a battery. I have no idea what the OPs situation is and why they need to carry everything but the kitchen sink around with them. Why an extra keyboard & mouse? A printer are you a contract lawyer? What sort of printer?

If it were me and no access to WiFi (else why drag around HDDs)...
    1. Bluetooth mouse & keyboard, no USB dongle
    2. low power portable monochrome printer only plugged in when needed or a bluetooth printer with its own battery, do they still make them?
    3a A single external HDD
    3b jam the stuff I need the most on a SDXC card (very low power) seriously how many documents do you need with you 100% of the time?
    3c A WiFi enabled USB drive with its own battery, Seagate, Corsair, Lacie...
    4. charging stuff, nope. Get an external battery pack, plenty out there.

Got WiFi? Use the cloud and leave the drives at home.

13. bubulol thread starter macrumors 6502

yes i was aiming for battery

let me be more accurate with my own use

- i think i need at least one external hard drive connected all time which most of heavy multimedia data come from

- i own wireless mice (G700) that has its own adapter (Logitech receiver)

- mechanical blacklit keyboard through usb (google it and you ll know how mechanical keyboard would be quite comfortable for typing)

- printer through usb, not need to be connected all time unless i have to print some copies

- charging stuff, also not need to be connected all time unless i have to charge stuffs

14. blueroom, Jan 9, 2014

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

All that gear and there's no power outlet available nearby, how's that possible? You're going to need power, try Hypershop.com and you can charge it up overnight much like a UPS. Can you elaborate what and where it is you do?

What is heavy multimedia data? Are you editing video? if so with what? How do you plan to lug all this around?

Your MacBook Air has a very small battery.