Does Anybody Else Bring Their Mac Pro With Them?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Zwhaler, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

What I mean by that is, if you have work to do on your computer, do you physically pack the machine into it's box (screen keyboard mouse.. no speakers) load it into your trunk and drive to your destination and them unpack it, use it and then pack it away to bring back home? I fancy using the word "Pro" in the context of a person who actually uses their Mac Pro to do work (which many of us do). I just wonder if I'm the only one that does that? I only do it because I get great results, meaning more work done in less time.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No, and it seems weird. Can't you use a laptop on the field? Why take a 41 pound computer?

3. AlteMac macrumors regular

AlteMac

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

That's pretty baller. I mean when I was a touring musician I took my Ampeg SVT and 8x10 cabinet everywhere but that got tiresome unless there was a roadie. Maybe you need a roadie? The new MBP's can do a lot and if you own a business it's hard to pass up the write-off. Get SSD and 750GB HDD in DVD sled and you have a 3.2GHz Mac Pro in your bag:) No back strain.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Nope never. I had to lug it to the Apple store once and that was a pain!

6. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

Nope. I take a laptop and SSH in if I need the Pro's firepower.

7. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

Well I just loved it so much that I bought 2 one for home and one for work and a MBP for in between:D

Garen:)

8. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The thing is I have a 15" 2.66 i7 from 2010, but I need the Mac Pro for the FCP X power also because it has all of my video stored on it, internal storage was always the biggest issue with the laptop. I haven't been moving my computer much lately, but I'll probably need to again soon :apple:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't own a Pro but I used to lug my PM G4 around occasionally. When you need a machine... :)

10. sunnyj macrumors 6502

nope, i have a macbook pro for editing on location.

11. d-m-a-x macrumors 6502

absofrigginlutely

I pack the machine and monitor and cables in pelican cases - and get it going on set. I have it down to 15 minutes of set-up

Attached Files:

12. Dark Eternal macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I do this with my 27" iMac. I got the iMac because I work at home on a desk 99% of the time and you could not beat the bang for the buck. When I travel I load it up in the box and take it with me. It's the same amount of cords (1) as a laptop. It takes less than a minute to set it up where I need.

13. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Always wished I could lug my mac pro around because I tend to miss it whenever I'm out and about. The mbp provides sufficient computing power but I do so have quite the hots for my metallic beast. Haha.

14. goMac macrumors 603

Nope.

Bought a Macbook Pro. It's noticeably slower, but it works in a pinch on the road.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I don't, but one of the photography's at a friends baseball/soccer game does. Has a Mac pro in his car setup with a printer etc. After the game, you can pick and pay for a picture right there.

Pretty cool.

16. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

Talk about a Drive By Shooting!

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've considered getting a case for my Mac Pro to take on my longer trips abroad, but since my MacBook Pro has been keeping up (well almost) with the Mac Pro and therefore I haven't needed to do that.

18. skyton macrumors 6502

My Pro has never left my desk - it weighs a tonne!

19. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I occasionally do that when friends want to play OS 9 games.

20. Marcush1286 macrumors member

Me neither.. not worth the time and hassle to take a 50 pound computer with me everywhere.

21. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I agree here, it's definitely not worth it to take it everywhere.... however there are times when it's worth it to work when you're set up like this:

[​IMG]

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Glossy display outside? How do you get things done?!

23. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Make your life easier! Buy an anti-glare MacBook Pro!

24. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

When I turn the display a little bit to the right the glare mostly goes away, I just set it that way to take the picture, also I only work there every so often so the display spends most of the time indoors.