Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I was dissapointed when I found out that my iPad 3 wont be using blurs anymore; I don't really like how "Increase Contrast" looks. But I was pleasantly surprised that you can still see through the panes-of-glass like menus, just now without a blur. I think I might actually prefer the transparency over translucency. Jony Ive said that the use of translucency gives you a sense of your context, but I think transparency makes it even more true. The lack of blur makes the functional layers make more sense; you know that the menus are placed overtop. You can see what's underneath the menus if you try, whereas the frosted glass just looks mush, and it's annoying the way it flickers when scrolling.

The only thing I don't like is that the keyboard is solid. I wonder if it would be too much trouble to make the keyboard transparent like the other elements. I think that would be nice.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
Firstly, the effect without the blur is known as translucent. It would be transparent if it was "invisible" (someone with better knowlege correct me if I'm wrong about this).

About it looking better without the blur... I think it would look better with blur but more opaque like in beta 5 (but not quite as much opaqueness as beta 5).

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Firstly, the effect without the blur is known as translucent. It would be transparent if it was "invisible" (someone with better knowlege correct me if I'm wrong about this).

About it looking better without the blur... I think it would look better with blur but more opaque like in beta 5 (but not quite as much opaqueness as beta 5).

The effect with the blur is translucent.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Don't like it either.:mad: Control Center is so awful with that beta.
Notification Center doesn't look that good either and I think e.g. in Safari it is very irritating to see the text clearly behind the navigation bar.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
The effect with the blur is translucent.

I know this. The OP differentiated between the effect with and without blur by calling one translucent and the other transparent when in fact they're both translucent.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
With blur without blur, I will always deactivate them cause it just drains battery and resources and ipad 3 without them is just perfect, no lag, it is actually better than ios 6, and this is on beta 4, I didn't try it yet on beta 5

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I like the no-blur look. The blurred-look and transparency remind me of Window's Vista :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.