Does anybody get this "gelatin" effect when recording???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fel10, Sep 15, 2010.

1. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I was just wondering if anyone get this "gelatin" effect when moving their iPod Touch side to side, while recording. It almost look like a gelatin when u shake it. It usually happens when theirs a lot of stuff going on, something with a lot texture. Here's a video as a quick example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHUwN-uGgdY

2. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

3. lostless macrumors 6502

This is because the iPod touch (iPhone and other devices) have rolling shutter. What that means, is instead of taking 30 still frames and put them in order, it constanly scrolling down. So the top line is 1/30th of a second before the bottom. So the next frame just picks up right where the bottom line left off. So fast moving objects get stretched out as the camera records the action all in one frame as it scans down

4. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Oh interesting, didn't know that. Thank for the info bud! For a second I thought there was something wrong with my camera.

5. iGuy38 macrumors member

6. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

LOL! depends on your tolerance for the rolling shutter effect. that's for YOU to decide.

7. Code.Red macrumors regular

It's not really a problem in the sense that this is they way the camera is expected to work- it's by design. To fix it would require a different camera altogether.