Does anybody has experience in setting Over Provisioning for Samsung SSD on a Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jesper.P, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Jesper.P macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I currently updated my MacBook Pro (Samsung SSD 840 Evo 500GB) to Yosemite coming from Mavericks. Unfortunately, as many of you know, Yosemite doesn´t support Trim anymore unless you really work on the system and might face problems in the future.

In my research - thanks google - I found that over provisioning and Garbage Collection from Samsung works pretty well and can be an alternative. I know there is already some Over Provisioning by default on a Samsung SSD, but many more sources suggest improving this part if you don’t have Trim. Especially when your SSD is pretty packed.

But, Samsung is some how special with the "installation" of over provisioning when you already use the SSD with an OS on it.

Does anybody has experience in erasing a SSD and set the partition for the Over Provisioning on a Mac? How did you do it? Any Tutorial I couldn’t found? I really don't care about making a clean install again. I just want to make sure the left space is really recognized by the firmware of the SSD. (According to many source, this is the tricky part and solved in Windows with the Magician Software from Samsung.)

If you have any suggestions, I would be very pleased. Many thanks for your help in advance!

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

There's nothing particularly magical about the Samsung Magician software. The over-provisioning feature just gives you the ability to resize existing partitions on the drive within Samsung Magician, without having to go to Windows Disk Management to do it.

Simply use Disk Utility to resize your OS X partition, and leave the free space unallocated. The SSD's controller will take care of the rest.

3. venom600 macrumors 6502a

Garbage collection is not an alternative to TRIM. They are designed to work in conjunction with each other.

http://www.cindori.org/trim-vs-garbage-collection/

4. Jesper.P thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi! Thanks for your help and your very quick response! I really appreciated it.

I know that GC and Trim are designed to work together, Samsung is also very clear about this. But as I understand the entire process, GC can be optimized by setting the over provisioning - which helps to compromise the missing Trim Support. Maybe I wasn`t so clear about this in my first post :).

I really would like to optimized these settings to compromise the unsupported Trim. Any other ideas how I can do that? Otherwise I would just set an entire new partition which is a little-bit smaller than the actual capacity of the SSd and leave the rest unallocated - or did I forgot something?