Does anybody have a link to that Apple Store video with BT in it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benguild, Jan 28, 2012.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

2. simsaladimbamba

What does "BT" stand for? British Telecom?
    Is the video, you are talking about only available at Apple Retail Stores?

I guess, I might need more information, but maybe someone knows, what the frack you are talking about.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

4. simsaladimbamba

A disc jockey called Badisches Tagblatt?

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah that one.

6. simsaladimbamba

Naa, I haven't seen that video yet. I guess I should stop watching MTV and its plethora of missing music videos. MTV after all stands for Morons Together Vereinigung.

7. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. simsaladimbamba

Any more information you can give us, as maybe some people don't know that "BT" guy, but have seen that video, though didn't associate it with that "BT" guy?

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Brian Transeau. You may not have heard of him, but he's scored numerous films and has been around since the days of Robert Miles and Daft Punk (pre robot phase). He also has an interview up on apple's website, since he's a notable DJ and producer and longtime Apple fan. He also pioneered a technique called the Stutter Edit and released a Mac software package on the app store.

I haven't seen the video in question, but you might want to search his personal website. You'll get more results googling Brian Transeau than BT.

10. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Yeah, Transeau is incredible. Pity that his best album (This Binary Universe) is out of print/circulation. I don't dare lend out my CD anymore because it's usually $50+ to get a replacement now. The man has an incredible range of talents; he started out in house/electronica with his first couple albums (Ima and ESCM), then branched out to more of an electropop/alt sound for Movement in Still Life. Emotional Technology isn't his best, but is worth a listen. Then comes the black sheep in his catalogue (TBU). His most recent album (These Hopeful Machines) was nominated for a Grammy. His movie scores include Driven (terrible movie but a good score), Monster, and the original Fast and Furious movie. Remarkable talent, and a genuinely nice guy too.

11. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

THM went out of production? Really? I thought it was some of his best work, finally getting back to ambient/orchestral instead of the poppy techno crap he can do well, but isn't all that compelling.

Glad I still have my hard copy!

Actually, THM reminds me of Vangelis.

12. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

No, This Binary Universe (TBU) is out of print, not These Hopeful Machines (THM). TBU was released on DTS records (a specialty label), and I don't think it was ever expected to be a long/big release...many of their CD prints aren't. All of BT's other full-length studio albums were put out on major labels. TBU is an (awesome) odd duck.

THM is a big step in the right direction for "typical" BT music, back from the more generic poppy sound in Emotional Technology...but it's not my favorite by a long shot. I certainly wouldn't have thought to describe THM as "orchestral" though...are you sure you're not mixing up TBU and THM?

My rankings, for what it's worth:

1) This Binary Universe ~ Easy. There's nothing else like it. One of those sort of discs I love and listen to often, but only when I know I'll have time to see it through from start to finish. It's that good. Rather than BT's old-style techno-house sound, or his newer electro-pop, this is borderline ambient--but not the sort you'll want to tune out. It's jazz/neoclassical electronica all wrapped up in one sweet album. Bonus points for the DTS-encoded 5.1 DVD included in the hard copy version...listening to it through my buddy's system (USHER BE-718 front pair with USHER s520 surrounds, dual JL Audio Fathom F113 subs, running through a Denon 5308) was sublime.

2) Movement in Still Life (the non-US uncut version) ~ Flows like melted butter from start to finish. Great blend of early-feel BT in songs like Godspeed and Namisté, along with his best pop/rock efforts. (Satellite is the song that got me hooked on BT to start with, and it's hands-down my favorite of his songs with words. Skip the chopped-up/swapped US album release, though--it ruins the flow, and drops a couple great songs.

3) ESCM ~ I can skip Love, Peace and Grease but the rest of the album is great. Classic BT electrosound, and for the purists who don't like his pop/rock ventures, probably ranks higher than MISL.

5) ima ~ His debut album. Some very good tunes, including Poseidon and Blue Skies (w/Tori Amos), which really launched his career big time. Flashes of genius, but inconsistent.

5) These Hopeful Machines ~ A couple really weak songs, but some strong ones as well. A great intro to BT for a newbie listener--a mixer of accessible pop-rock type songs, with a bit of the old electronic flair like Le Nocturne De Lumiere.

6) Emotional Technology ~ Still not a bad album, despite being last on the list...it has some catchy riffs, like The Great Escape, but there's too much pop and filler for my taste. The album I'd be least likely to recommend to somebody unfamiliar with BT. On the old version of BT's website, there was a discussion board on which BT ranked his albums per his taste. While I don't remember the whole list (this was pre-THM), I know he rated ET last.

(I didn't include compilation or remix albums, like R&R or These Humble Machines, Still Life in Motion, or 10 Years in the Life. They're good, but not cohesive units the way the 6 above are.)

13. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I meant This Binary Universe. That's the one that reminds me of Vangelis, back when he was on the cutting edge of electronica.

I agree with your reviews. BT has a lot of releases where it seems like he's filling space with skippable tracks. Satellite is also one of my favorites, and it belongs on a Coen Brothers soundtrack somewhere.

About Ima and Blue Skies, aside from it gaining fame by appearing on TV's "Party of 5," IIRC that track was notable in that he produced it on an Apple laptop on a plane flight, and then sent a copy of it back to Tori Amos. Tori liked his work, and had sent him a sample tape. There's an interview with her somewhere explaining "Blue Skies" was one of a couple phrases she never actually recorded.

Far as BT showing up in Apple videos per the OP, only one I've found is the 2001 Powerbook G4 ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xakvvwpaj44

14. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Interesting story about Blue Skies. Yeah, that's the only video from Apple with BT that I know of (though there is the two-page profile/interview on Apple's Pro pages from 2006 (when TBU came out). Funny thing about it is that one of the music videos from TBU was preloaded on the original Zune...

15. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think there's a guy with dreadlocks in it too. Help?