Does anybody have an HP Dreamcolor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheStrudel, Aug 24, 2009.

1. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Just curious if anybody here has an HP Dreamcolor display, and if they do, what their experience using it with their Mac, pro apps has been like.

2. Greg Staten macrumors newbie

I've written a white paper on using the DreamColor display on the Mac that you may want to read. You can get it here.

The primary issue that you're going to run into with the ProApps is that the Mac's default gamma (in Leopard and earlier releases) is 1.8. FCP uses that gamma while Color instead tries to use a proper 2.2. This means that when you move sequences back and forth between the two you'll see a definite visual difference.

This will get easier when Snow Leopard releases as it uses 2.2 as the standard gamma and drops the funky Mac-only 1.8 gamma.

-greg
    DreamColor Solution Architect
    Hewlett-Packard Company

3. cablet macrumors newbie

I realize this is an old post but for those doing this research now here is my take on the Dreamcolor.

I have two in production not connected to macs. They are fantastic.

I have been through an additional three in the last two weeks for use on a new mac tower. NIGHTMARE! I have the Xrite probe and have been using the APS software. I do not believe it is possible to get an accurate white point when using a mac. I have been over the documentation many times. I have followed the "OSX" document very carefully and the document makes sense but the two macs I've tried it on will not allow the Dreamcolor to be color accurate (white point accurate really).

We have several high end probes for checking color and we can't get below 7000K. When using third party color calibration and profiling software we are able to get it right on but that defeats the purpose of being able to quickly switch color space. When the graphics card is set correctly by using display native gamma and white point the Dreamcolor should allow for very accurate color.

I am not blaming the Dreamcolor as this may just be a mac thing but the two very frustrating this here are 1) I've spent 6 months trying to find a contact in HP to answer some questions on what we are doing wrong and 2) I should not have to purchase $30-$40 thousand dollar software to get it to work properly. And yes it was over $30K.

So, for use as a video monitor using Gefens HD-SDI to HDMI solution (on our Flame system) it works fantastic. On our windows system it works great.

We are using DVI because the experience was even worse when using the Display Port.

Should someone read this that knows how to make it work properly on a mac without having to use third party software please drop me an email. Thanks.

trevorc@laika.com