Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmaarriioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2021

Mac Mini M1 , Dell display issues​

My new Dell Display (U3219Q) does not work well with my Mac Mini M1 (MacOS 11.6):
  • Wrong YPbPr Color Signal (not RGB), when change manually to RGB wrong colors
  • Not able to update Dell Firmware via USB-C connection (Display is recognized in System Settings)
  • Dell Display Manager does not run (Access allowed in System Settings)
  • USB-Hub does not work (USB-C ). When I disconnected the USB-C AFTER booting and reconnect the Hub is working.
With my old Macbook (MacOS 11.6, Intel) everything works (except RGB Colors), so the issues are related to the M1.
Updated Dell Monitor Firmware with MacBook, but still not working with Mac Mini M1.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What kind of inputs does the display have?
Of those, which one are you using?

Archer13

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
I'm using U3219Q with Mac Mini M1. Connected by HDMI and USB-A (USB-С is used for Win laptop).
I was able to update Dell firmware through USB-A (to M3B110).

I didn't manipulate with Color Signal, colors are fine on Mac and Win.

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014

My new Dell Display (U3219Q) does not work well with my Mac Mini M1 (MacOS 11.6):
  • Not able to update Dell Firmware via USB-C connection (Display is recognized in System Settings)
  • USB-Hub does not work (USB-C ). When I disconnected the USB-C AFTER booting and reconnect the Hub is working.
With my old Macbook (MacOS 11.6, Intel) everything works (except RGB Colors), so the issues are related to the M1.
Updated Dell Monitor Firmware with MacBook, but still not working with Mac Mini M1.
If you're not picky, when the mini wrongly sends out YPbPr and your monitor acknowledges it and acts accordingly, the color will be OK but will look wrong when you force the monitor to treat it (the signal) as RGB since it's not.

To force the mini to send out RGB to some monitor, the current way is to force RGB with EDID tricks that can be found on the web.

Tower23

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2022

Curious... Did you ever get Dell Display Manager to run?

mmaarriioo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2021
No. Also the non adjustable system/application font size in 4k resolution was really a bummer. Impressed by the M1 Performance but to many downsides with the Mac. Changed to a Windows Machine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.