Does anybody here own the P90X Fitness program?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jc0481, Aug 26, 2009.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

I just bought P90X and have most of the equipment needed for it. My question is do I need to buy the Bowflex Selecttech or Powerblock dumbbells? I would love to buy one of these dumbbells but they are out of my price range even after looking at Craigslist and Ebay still out of my price range.

I would like to go to Target, Walmart or any other sporting goods store and purchasing some free weights. I think that will be a cheaper option for me.

Since I will be buying some dumbbells what are the weights I should be buying? In case you are wondering I am 28 years old and 5'8" tall. I don't want to look too bulky or too lean somewhere in the middle.

Last question but certainly not least. I bough the Iron Gym Extreme pull up bar. The tool that comes with it is a joke. I know I can build it with that tool it came with but it takes so long to build it. Anybody know any good hex tools I can use instead of it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

free weights - get any that feel right in hand and wont fall apart in first week
    try a second hand sport goods store for steep discounts or garage sales.

do get push up handles (bars) they are useful for more challenging exercises

also resistance bands work better in some exercises than the weight , challenge your muscles in different way
    use both to really mix it up.

3. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I have the bowflex dumbbells and I really like them. To be honest, I don't think you need many weights for P90X, you can easily adjust the reps accordingly.

15, 20, 25, 30 should be the absolute most variety you need. Pick 2 depending on how strong you are.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11089970

Should satisfy your needs, and for $20. You could also probably get a set of spinlock adjustable dumbbells at Wal Mart — that's where I got my spinlock bars here in Canada. If you get adjustable dumbbells, you can just buy any extra plates as needed and they never become obsolete.