Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swy32x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I have an Apple Bluetooth mouse and find that I never turn it off - should I, or is it not a worry?

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Snowy28 said:
I have an Apple Bluetooth mouse and find that I never turn it off - should I, or is it not a worry?

It's really up to you. Bluetooth mice go into a power save mode if you don't move them for a while. It doesn't harm the mouse having it on all the time - Apple would have said to turn it off if it did ;)

The only advantage about turning it off is you saving on batteries.

aussie_geek

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
aussie_geek said:
The only advantage about turning it off is you saving on batteries.
What about mother nature?
If you use disposale batteries, turn it off. If you use rechargeable ones, you can leave it on,
sometimes :) :rolleyes:

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
leaving anything on will obviously shorten battery life

when i had the apple BT i turned it off at night or when i wasnt at home

thats what i love about my mx1000

awesome mouse and a usb charging station.

WOOHOO!

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
When I travel I turn my mouse off.

Last thing I want is the mouse to be clicking throughout an entire 5 hour flight, plus all assorted airport time, because a toothbrush or something is pushing the button.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I always turn off my BT keyboard and mouse.
OK, I've only had them for about 2 days, but I've been so good about actually turning them off. It doesn't seem like that big of a hassle.

When I turn it on, though, the mouse takes about 2 minutes to connect. I'm so impatient. :mad:

but with how often I turn off my kb/mouse I expect the batteries to last a long time. I will then steal replacement batteries from the TV remote. :D

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
katie ta achoo said:
I always turn off my BT keyboard and mouse.
OK, I've only had them for about 2 days, but I've been so good about actually turning them off. It doesn't seem like that big of a hassle.

When I turn it on, though, the mouse takes about 2 minutes to connect. I'm so impatient. :mad:

but with how often I turn off my kb/mouse I expect the batteries to last a long time. I will then steal replacement batteries from the TV remote. :D

the Apple BT Things are quite efficient marvels, and you can always check the battery status, which is extra cool (System Preferences).

Also, I've discovered if you turn them on, and just click and hold the mouse a few times through, it'll connect in about 10 seconds. I've never had to wait 2 mins to connect. If it takes more than 30 seconds, I just turn it off/on again and it'll connect quick for ya.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
wheezy said:
the Apple BT Things are quite efficient marvels, and you can always check the battery status, which is extra cool (System Preferences).

Also, I've discovered if you turn them on, and just click and hold the mouse a few times through, it'll connect in about 10 seconds. I've never had to wait 2 mins to connect. If it takes more than 30 seconds, I just turn it off/on again and it'll connect quick for ya.

Ooo, thankie thankie!
Damn! I don't have an excuse to go to the apple store anymore, haha.
Stupid non broken mouse.. now I can't go play with the PowerMac G5s with the 30" displays... haha

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i don't really use the keyboard, now cause their is no room for it on my desk, i'm saving it for school, but i use the mouse. i turn it off before i go to bed other then that its on.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
katie ta achoo said:
Ooo, thankie thankie!
Damn! I don't have an excuse to go to the apple store anymore, haha.
Stupid non broken mouse.. now I can't go play with the PowerMac G5s with the 30" displays... haha

At least you have an Apple Store to go to! All I gots is Crap...err, CompUSA. My apple store is online.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
wheezy said:
At least you have an Apple Store to go to! All I gots is Crap...err, CompUSA. My apple store is online.

Hehe, I'm spoiled! I'm there about 2x every 3 weeks.
and I HARDLY EVER buy anything. I'm just there to hassle clerks.

On average, I buy something ever 5 visits...

"Uhh.. I'm test driving the PowerMac because I totally have $12k for my dream machine sitting around..."

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Just wondering... if you let your Apple BT mouse and keyboard sleep instead of turning them off, does it really use more power or not?

In other words, is it like the iPod hold switch (which I have never once used), meant to prevent accidental awakening by ignoring all input, or is it a real Off?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
nagromme said:
Just wondering... if you let your Apple BT mouse and keyboard sleep instead of turning them off, does it really use more power or not?

In other words, is it like the iPod hold switch (which I have never once used), meant to prevent accidental awakening by ignoring all input, or is it a real Off?

I think it's a real off. I'm not sure.
I am thinking that when you turn it off it's off-off because when you turn off the mouse, the red optical light also turns off. If it were in sleep mode, like iPods, it would be "awake" every few seconds to check for input. (I read something like the iPod is never OFF-OFF, it's on for a split second, and off for a split second or something like that. I dunno. :rolleyes: )

Write ol' Stevey J a letter about it? :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So the red light never goes off if you don't turn the mouse off with the switch?

I think I'd prefer something that detected your hand (with minimal power) and then turned on the light.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I turn it off sporadically, it's just a pain to not click it when I'm turning it off, because it wakes up the computer, etc. so I tend to keep it on. I rarely turn off the keyboard.

Batteries seem to hold ok, though I 've only owned these for about 3 weeks :D

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I always turn off my BT Apple Mighty Mouse whenever I've finished using it. I've had the same batteries in my mouse for nearly 3 months now, and it's still running strong. :cool:

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I nerver turn my Apple BT keyboard or mouse off. They go to slepp when not in use. With good batteries (like the ones they ship with) I get serveral months out of them. At least 3 months, if not more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.