Does anybody here use an external drive without a power cord for their Time Machine?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kurrgo, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Kurrgo macrumors member

I'm thinking about getting a WD drive to perform my Time Machine backups and I'm wondering if it's ok to use one that is powered via the USB. I don't want to damage or burn anything out having it permanently connected and am wondering if somebody can shed some light.

Thanks!

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Sure. One or two should be fine. For more (I have five, to provide my family with duplicative backups), use a good-quality powered hub.

3. Kurrgo thread starter macrumors member

So you have a couple of USB powered and the additional are powered backups that are always on?

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

No, in my case all are currently connected via the hub. But once I had two connected directly.

5. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I have 2 external WD USB3 drives connected to my new 27" iMac. One is used as a TM backup and the other as a extra storage drive for music/photos/movies ( since my iMac only has a 512ssd ) and i have no issues.

What issues are you worried about if i may ask?

6. Kurrgo thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't sure if keeping a drive that is powered by usb would wear out of damage the Mac. I wouldn't be plugging in the drive but allowing the Mac to power the drive.

7. Darklevel macrumors newbie

I use a bus powered WD drive for my time machine, been running since June 2013 and i have had no problems.

8. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

Yes, both my iMac and my wife's iMac have USB-powered external drives used for Time Macine backups. Both are WD Passport drives bought at Costco. No problems, both have worked well for many months.

9. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I use a WD USB3 1TB bus powered "portable" drive for my time machine backups on my iMac. I don't leave it connected all the time since I don't see the need to run constant backups. I plug it in about every 10 days or so when I get the pop up notification saying "no backups for 10 days." Works good enough for my needs.

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That's not enough. Drives fail. Have a duplicative backup strategy with, at a minimum, two backup drives that back up alternately. Ideally you'd have a remote or cloud-based backup also.

11. koulmj macrumors 6502

koulmj

I love when people recommend this, it reminds me that there's no data on my machine worth the price of another drive...god I need a life,