Does anybody know what country this is?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tktaylor1, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I was watching House Hunters on HGTV and these people were looking at houses in another country. In this country, from the way I understood it, everybody got payed the same amount each year. So a doctor gets paid the same as a grocery store cashier. How is this possible and where would this be? I am wanting to say somewhere in the Czech Republic but I can't remember. If this is in fact true can somebody explain this system to me because I don't see how this works. Sorry if this is unclear. If it is I will try to explain it better.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not sure such a country exists. It sounds like book communism. That is, how communism should work but doesn't because humans are greedy by nature.

So... North Korea?

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's called Communism. Didn't work out so well for the Soviets. I don't recommend it. Not sure where that country is though, as I don't know any country that still practices it and anyone would actually want to live there.

4. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Yea I knew it was communism. Just trying to figure out how that is even remotely possible as a system.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

On paper it works pretty well and seems to be really nice. Everyone is happy and nobody is poor. But is fails because man is a greedy animal and is always lusting for power. It has failed for the Soviets, is failing for the Cubans, and is (oddly) holding strong in China and North Korea.

6. TSE macrumors 68030

^ Actually, China is economically leaning towards Capitalism the past 30 years with some major capitalist reforms.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think any country is like that. Not even the Soviet Union had the same pay for everyone. If there is a country like that I'd assume it's one of the countries with systems similar to Stalin's, like Belarus, Turkmenistan, or North Korea, but I doubt there would be any US tv shows being filmed in any of those countries.

8. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Can't be Czech Republic. And Slovakia either.:) Even before 1989, the wages were not equal (the official ones, not counting stuff like bribes etc.).

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That's because their Communism was a thinly veiled oligarchy (which is a lot like the US's thinly veiled Democracy:mad:).

If a country practices only bartering, then it would work. But I can't think of any country like that. How do you gain taxes? No one makes an income, so no income tax. No taxes means no money to run the government, so no government. No government = no country...for old men. (Going of on a tangent is one of the perks of old age.:p)