Does anybody offer an IE compatibility service?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by 124151155, Mar 7, 2010.

1. 124151155 macrumors regular

Hi, I'm a student making a website for a ski lodge, and I have a joomla site which is almost complete, but I need to get the cross browser compatibility right, and I don't have the time or patience to go trawling the intertubes for IE6 & 7 hacks and I'll run out hair to rip out.

I was wondering if anybody knows of anybody that offers this as a service where I can pay somebody to look through my code and get it working the same across all common browsers...?

Cheers,

Tim.

2. joelypolly macrumors 6502

I know some people. PM me your budget and I'll see if any of them is interested

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

4. memco macrumors 6502

There's always IE7.js and IE8.js . You should still spend a bit of time testing it, but it is a quick way to up the chances that your site is going to work on IE6 and IE7.

5. 124151155 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

memco - I tried out ie7.js, ie8.js and ie9.js... they help for a few things but it breaks the centre alignment and the site sticks to the left side of the screen.
    I'll keep this trick in mind, I imagine it would really help if I used it from the beginning so I could fix all the errors as they pop up.

Knowing I might get it wrong if I try myself and the fact that I'm rather busy at the moment, I'll just be talking to joelypolly to see if somebody can do this for me.

Thanks again.

6. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

For starters, make sure you have a valid doctype. What one you choose is your choice, but make sure it's correctly formatted. Without this you'll send IE6 and 7 into quirks mode.

Additionally, while IE 6 can be a HUGE pain, IE 7 was a major leap forward, and if you aren't doing anything ridiculously complicated, you should have few issues with it. Once it's working in IE 7, the best bet is to add an IE 6 specific style sheet using IE conditionals, since IE 6 rendering is atrocious and it chokes on just about everything due to the ridiculously flawed interpretation of the box model.