Does anybody prefer the build of the PC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davy.Shalom, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Ok so I don't know if I am the only one, but when I use my mac I am so careful, I have to treat it like a baby. I am afraid that anything wrong will break something. This is totally the opposite with my PC. I can scratch it and use it how a computer should be used. It is heavy, true, but it is tough and does have a 4 hour battery life. I wish macs were a bit tougher. The new unibody is getting better, but it still isn't there.

(I hate to say it, but apart from the hinges, I think the TiBook was the most useable mac ever made)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not sure im understanding the logic of what you are saying. Its fragile because you baby it?:confused:

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i am more careful with my macbook than i was with my HP laptops, but that is just because i like the way that it looks, and i do not want to junk it up.

i didnt really care what the other ones looked like, and it showed with how i took care of it. I feel that my mac could suffer more bumps and bruises before it stopped working, i just dont want to test it.

5. RaMaz07 macrumors member

he is saying that the Mac uses more fragile-like materials. Cost more. People are more careful with it where if you buy a pc and you smack it around a little you wouldn't care because it can take it (such as the plastic on some and etc.)

And i totally agree. All the Pcs i have owned can take some beatings.

6. poolvibe macrumors newbie

poolvibe

PC's are just machines. Macs are precious. Easy distinction.:D

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I've never babied any of my Macs and they all lasted and looked great over the years. I think the OP is suffering from form over function. Dude, just use the computer, you don't have to be so protective, if you feel like you have to be that way you shouldn't have bought a Mac. You can break PC notebook hinges, cause cracks, damage LCD's and such. Stop paying so much attention to the prettiness and you'll find out that under normal use your Macs are quite resilient. ;)

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have a FULL warranty on my dell and I baby it.

The day I break it slamming it around will be the day I really need it.

Its called taking care of it.

9. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

ugh

To tell you the truth, I had an iBook G4 1.33 ghz 12" that I treated like a "normal computer," and not only did it crack in 3 places, the palm rests caved in and it wouldn't cool right, and apple said it was "cosmetic" so they wouldn't cover it under apple care. I should say I treat my mac notebook EXTREMELY WELL rather than baby it. I dunno, I think that apple really should release a simple, TOUGH TITANIUM affordable laptop.

(this would include a thicker titanium shell, weigh about 5 lbs, 14 inch screen, superdrive, about $500) -I know I will get objections, but I just want to see some macs that can take heavy useage, because I use my computer A LOT (in classes, for programming, on the train, for homework, and graphics)

To answer Eidorian's question, yes I built my Desktop PC but here I am referring to my HP laptop. No, I did not build that =)

10. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

another reason i have taken good care of my macs, is that i usually sell them a year or so after i get them.

I was able to sell my 2.4 Early 08 Macbook that i got in March for $1200 in November so that i could get a new Aluminum Macbook. I could not have gotten near that much, if it wasn't in the condition that i kept it in.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why are past laptops relevant to todays quality?:confused:

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Same goes with me, before with pc notebooks I still took good care of them but I take a lot better care with my mbp because it looks hell of a lot better.

13. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

What I am saying is that apple's design is amazing and beautiful, but they aren't very rugged. Oh, and does anybody know how scratch resistant the old mbps (classic) were? This also goes for powerbooks since they used the same basic case design.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 I agree 110% b/c laptops/powerbooks of yesteryear are inferior to present day MB/MBP etc.

15. Hurd111 macrumors member

My 12'' powerbook fell off a table onto a tile floor, and it still works fine. Im not sure about the macbooks, but the 12'' powerbook is the most rugged laptop I've ever used. Its taken quite a beating.

16. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

i find that the web is littered with apple accessories so people can baby their mac laptops..heck, even the videos complain about how the finishes are annoying and how the design and the gloss looks so pretty. the talk on this forum is no different. i don't know what the logic of the OP is because both the PC and the apple are computers, both function as a result of properly working components but the macbook might have cost him a little bit more than the HP for similar performance - that is, assuming both are spec'd the same way.

why do you baby one over the other and then ask the reason? heck, only you know the answer to that. is it because of cost? being anal about fingerprints?

17. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

they are? kinda hard to tell with all the visits people here seem to be making to the local genius bars. between all the mb cracks, widespread LED problems, overheating issues, finishes cracking off, weird noises and whatever else happens to macs these days, i'd say apple has tons of room to improve. for >1500 for a laptop and higher end models pushing 3K on top of an aggressive ad campaign hailing macs as worry-free alternative to PCs, i;d expect a helluva lot better quality control on their part. dunno about you but if i plunk down 2k for a mac and get 250 bucks for apple care, i;d better not be making 3 trips to see some "genius" only to get recurring issues in the same replacement laptop. i was fortunate in my recent mbp but a lot of people were not.

18. 7even macrumors 6502a

If anything, my last Thinkpad had worn-off corners after less than a month, and I treated it exactly the same as I treat my MBP right now. *shrug* It's an expensive device.. I treat it as such, PC or Mac.

19. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Heh, I agree with this guy. Apple does have much room to improve, and I think that they should put their products under more testing and use the products a lot before sending them out so they can see the end result (i.e. what breaks and what does not)

*sidenote: I have seen how apple tests their devices. My aunt works at the company and I strolled into the product testing department while on the tour. Anyway, all they do is have a notebook set up on a machine that puts USB connector in and out and counts how many times before breakage. They also test the powerbutton, and do a 1 foot drop test and see if the HDD still works. This is OK, but not great if we are paying upwards of 1k

20. lscangus macrumors 6502

And the unibdy is not reli strong....

21. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its like asking does anyone prefer the design of 10,000,000 other possible case designs to the design of 5 others? Of course theres going to be nice looking pc cases, and ugly looks like my cat puked up Dell ones.

22. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane