Does anybody REALLY think the MBP is going to be updated soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DDar, Aug 15, 2008.

1. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I mean, do we really have ANY evidence to suggest it'll be updated along with the Macbook?

2. Abhorred macrumors member

The main thing I'm going off of in that regard is the supposed memo to retailers from a few weeks back telling them to expect shortages of MBs and MBPs over the next little while.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else there is. Anyone's free to correct me, of course.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Montevina came out. Apple historically updates within several weeks of a chipset release. September 15 is the end of the iPod promo. September 16 is a Tuesday. Apple historically updates products on Tuesday.

SO YES.

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I would say 75% likely to see an update by the end of September.

6. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Im waiting for an update before i buy one. Hopefully they dont come with the failing Nvidia cards. Im hoping a case change, keyboard change and blue ray.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You won't see the last one of those, but I hope that you get your (our) update soon.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Who knows, do you mean in the sense of a spec bump or a product change? I think after 5 years since the design was introduced its still the most beautiful laptop in the world. No notebook even comes close within a mile, except for the Macbook Air. If they do update the design then I hope they don't screw it up.

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Apple's recent financial results conference call that talked about a "product transition" that would affect Q4 revenue (i.e., by the end of September).

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I mean, do we REALLY have ANY need for yet another repetitive, redundant thread on this issue? If you search the forums, you will find dozens of active threads you can post into, rather than starting another one. And NO ONE but Apple knows for certain what and when anything will be updated. Everything else is pure speculation.

11. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Why, because everybody hates mondays? :p
    Anyways, wasn't the new Macbook release date set for the 23rd? I mean, I'm not doubting SOMETHING will be updated, but do we have evidence the MBP will be updated? I mean, it's kinda their premium line of laptops, so wouldn't they wait for something bigger? Like snow leopard? (I mean,didn't the MBPs get their Penryn update with Leopard?

12. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

We don't have any real evidence that the Macbook will be updated either do we?

I'd say it was a safe bet though.

13. DDar thread starter macrumors 6502

DDar

Wasn't there a promo image that stated it was being updated on the 23rd?

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A couple of points seem worth making. The first is that of ggjstudios; there are many posts already dedicated to this topic.

To the question asked, then. No, we don't know for certain that major updates are on the way, but straws in the wind, clues, certain facts (as analysed by Tallest Skil) give strong hints as to what might be about to happen. It is interesting to note that received opinion seems to have changed somewhat over the past week; a week ago, most posters felt that tweaking, speed bumps, cosmetic changes at most would be what was likely to happen. Since then, the posts have changed their predictive flavour. Having said that, I'd like to point out that this forum is called MacRumors, not Mac Facts. All of this is speculation, albeit sometimes informed speculation. Cheers and good luck.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD; iPod classic 30 GB

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That one that was proven to be fake? Yes.

17. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

If you believe every image that crops up on teh interwebs then the 17" macbook pro is going to have 18 processors with 6 cores each, and each owner will also receive a pony called "ButterCup Pro" to carry it around for them too.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For the a zillionth time, yes.

I don't think; it will.

And please use search.

19. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Hey! Don't help him wish for a keyboard change! That might make it come true... :(

20. gr8bob macrumors regular

There's not going to be any evidence until the day it's actually put up on sale.. but then again, this site isn't called MacRumors for no reason. :D

21. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I'm well aware of that, but the thread starter was asking about evidence. As misguided as their request might be, I don't see the point of repeating the same old rumours back at them.

22. Skyldig macrumors regular

Well, he also stated, that he found evidence of a Macbook refresh, in wich case he can only be referring to rumors as evidence (since no evidence of a Macbook refresh has been presented).

Just saying.

MBP will be updated in mid-late september. I estimate an 86% certainty. ;) No evidence though...

23. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86