Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
It doesn't perform better when it comes to tab and app reloading, which is what I'm complaining about. In fact it couldn't perform any worse in that regard. It really is that bad.

I never said it performed better, I said it was on par with the general performance.

Quite frankly, this discussion is getting tiresome. You don't get my point, nor do you answer my questions.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How do we know the RAM is the culprit and OS inherently by design is not supposed to behave this way? Do we have real evidence that RAM is the bottle neck?

This RAM rhetoric bugs me, and that too with no real evidence showing that RAM is THE bottleneck. All the posts are anecdotal evidences without any real engineering/scientific assessment. There are plenty of other places that might be the issue - RAM, CPU and GPU allocation, processor cache memory, memory paging and OS itself on how it handles memory.

Exactly. Most people just think more RAM will solve all their woes with iOS, world peace will be attained and hunger will cease to exist.

Look at Android flagships. They have 3/4 GB of RAM and still have optimization problems with Lollipop.

It's not just the RAM, it's the OS. iOS is way, way more efficient. Lollipop struggles under 1 GB RAM. iOS definitely does not.
Sure, it's not just RAM, but it's also RAM to quite a bit of a degree nonetheless. And it's been at 1 GB for quite a while while everything has progressed well beyond that in that time.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
At least with previous releases, the iPhone ran great upon release. The 6+ didn't, despite the deniers that tried to tell us otherwise. iOS 9 may run better, but iOS10 will cripple my phone. I bet it will be another iOS 7 to 8-like transition. We're going to wonder just what the hell the phone is doing to warrant another massive performance drop.

The 2 problems that are the root cause of sluggishness:

1- 64-bit processor that needs more RAM
2- All the transparent blurring that brings everything but the newest devices to their knees randomly.

Which is why the iPad Air 2 is the ONLY device that runs iOS 8 buttery smooth 99% of the time. A8X is a beast processor and it has 2GB of RAM which I think is the biggest contributor.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I never said it performed better, I said it was on par with the general performance.

Quite frankly, this discussion is getting tiresome. You don't get my point, nor do you answer my questions.

I don't understand what questions you think I'm not answering and I do get your point, I just disagree with it.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
You can't even have two simple apps running side by side... Open myfitnesspal, enter data, go to health app, check data, go back to myfitnesspal... guess what, the app reloads. This is 2015, windows 3.11 and DOS did a better job than the current iOS on 4MB of RAM.

If an app is causing problems for me, the best solution is to either live with the problem or find different app. Either way, problem solved.

Complaining here on these forums is NOT going to solve the RAM issues, folks, it's only going to waste your time.. time that would be better spent finding solutions to the problem. I used my time to find workarounds, instead of complaining, so there are no RAM issues for me. Don't expect me to sympathize with you if you're unwilling to use common sense.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
If an app is causing problems for me, the best solution is to either live with the problem or find different app. Either way, problem solved.

Complaining here on these forums is NOT going to solve the RAM issues, folks, it's only going to waste your time.. time that would be better spent finding solutions to the problem. I used my time to find workarounds, instead of complaining, so there are no RAM issues for me. Don't expect me to sympathize with you if you're unwilling to use common sense.

What's the workaround when even stock apps reload? There is none.
All you can do is like I do and dramatically dumb-down the way you use the phone. I have to copy & paste whenever I type in webforms, and do more demanding (simple actually) web browsing & research on a different device. All things my iPhone 5 handled like a champ.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Exactly. But they would definitely not be whining about RAM issue. Currently all the stutters, lags and reloads can be traced back to lack of RAM.

Why don't you personally demand a 512 MB iPhone made specially for you? Tim Cook would be more than happy to save 1$ over it.

It's 2015. How many days can Apple sit on 1 GB and pretend it's enough?

Perhaps Apple is seeing the situation the same way I do, no need for more RAM if users know what they're doing? As I've stated many times, I've resolved the issue by finding workarounds. However, that's not what you want to hear, you and others would rather Apple cater to your needs. How much more complaining is required for that?

It amazes me that some folks would rather complain than look for working solutions to a problem.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Perhaps Apple is seeing the situation the same way I do, no need for more RAM if users know what they're doing? As I've stated many times, I've resolved the issue by finding workarounds. However, that's not what you want to hear, you and others would rather Apple cater to your needs. How much more complaining is required for that?

It amazes me that some folks would rather complain than look for working solutions to a problem.

The solution is another phone with more RAM #

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
What's the workaround when even stock apps reload? There is none.

Do you see what you did there? You answered the question before anyone could submit a hypothesis. You don't really want an answer, your mind is closed to anything except sympathy for your complaints. So I won't waste my time finding workarounds for you. Have a nice day.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Do you see what you did there? You answered the question before anyone could submit a hypothesis. You don't really want an answer, your mind is closed to anything except sympathy for your complaints. So I won't waste my time finding workarounds for you. Have a nice day.

Um, that was my hypothesis. Am I not allowed one?
Your mind is also closed. You refuse to accept that the iPhone 6 is underspecced and you refuse to accept that we shouldn't have to employ 'workarounds' to limit such a gaping hardware flaw in the most expensive smartphone on the market.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I keep saying that the iPhone 5 didn't behave like this, so unless you're saying that Apple purposefully made the 5S, 6 and to an even greater extent the 6+ reload apps & browser tabs like crazy and that they wanted these phones to be worse than the iPhone 5....then I would assume that iOS isn't supposed to behave this way.
An example proving that RAM is the bottleneck would be the iPad Air2 getting 2 gigs of RAM and suddenly reloading way less.

This is still anecdotal evidence. IMHO each model of iPhone has a OS written for that model so that the software runs well on the hardware its supposed to run on. So the behavior of OS on one phone is not directly comparable to the performance of the OS on another model, just because the hardware is different. Drivers & OS are different, expecting the same performance is not a good comparison.

The so called tab reloading could be something else altogether specific to that model of the phone the OS. This cannot be just the RAM issue, it could be something else altogether.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This is still anecdotal evidence. IMHO each model of iPhone has a OS written for that model so that the software runs well on the hardware its supposed to run on. So the behavior of OS on one phone is not directly comparable to the performance of the OS on another model, just because the hardware is different. Drivers & OS are different, expecting the same performance is not a good comparison.

The so called tab reloading could be something else altogether specific to that model of the phone the OS. This cannot be just the RAM issue, it could be something else altogether.

It isn't anecdotal though. The iPhone 5 had 1GB of RAM yet used less of it. Consequently the reloading issue was MUCH reduced. The iPad Air 2 has 2GB of RAM and consequently the reloading issue is MUCH reduced. This all points to RAM and really, in 2015 when other phones have 3 and 4GB of RAM, how can you not think that 1GB sounds pretty insufficient even on paper?

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

The iPhone 6+ is the first iPhone model where the OS doesn't run the OS well. It's not just the tab reloading that is the issue. You can see 1st party apps that reload. I notice this happening on iMessage, Safari, and Music where these apps briefly display stale data.

In Safari, viewing the list of tabs will sometimes show a page that was already closed. iMessage will briefly show an old conversation before updating to show the most recent content. Music defaults back to iTunes Radio because it can't remember the last place it was used.

-------------------------------------

As for the people saying we don't understand how memory management works on Unix, I definitely understand how OS X works when running with the bare minimum of supported RAM. It runs like crap. It runs like an ancient OS. Up the RAM and watch it perform much better. But the naysayers will say iOS isn't a desktop OS!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Complaining about the complaining seems like an even more waste of time in that case. ;)

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
It isn't anecdotal though. The iPhone 5 had 1GB of RAM yet used less of it. Consequently the reloading issue was MUCH reduced. The iPad Air 2 has 2GB of RAM and consequently the reloading issue is MUCH reduced. This all points to RAM and really, in 2015 when other phones have 3 and 4GB of RAM, how can you not think that 1GB sounds pretty insufficient even on paper?

I have no information to make a claim that 1GB is insufficient, its only insufficient when compared to the competitors, and competitors run different software.

In terms of performance, there is no direct correlation. We are comparing iPhone 5, 6+ and iPad Air 2 for the same issue. They all have different hardware and software to run that hardware. Care to point out what is not anecdotal and is direct correlation (eg. 1+1 =2).

One way to solve RAM is issue is by paging, but paging can work well when the memory storage is fast. How do we know this is not a paging issue?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have no information to make a claim that 1GB is insufficient, its only insufficient when compared to the competitors, and competitors run different software.

In terms of performance, there is no direct correlation. We are comparing iPhone 5, 6+ and iPad Air 2 for the same issue. They all have different hardware and software to run that hardware. Care to point out what is not anecdotal and is direct correlation (eg. 1+1 =2).

One way to solve RAM is issue is by paging, but paging can work well when the memory storage is fast. How do we know this is not a paging issue?

Well, I still think that it's a RAM issue. Yes the three models I used to prove my point are all different but they are surely much the same thing and running much the same software. Apple haven't fixed this reloading issue in knocking on for 18 months with software updates so I am led to assume that it is simply a matter of insufficient RAM. As I cannot prove that by showing you a 6+ with 2GB of RAM and an iPad Air 2 with 1GB of RAM then you can of course consider my claims to be anecdotal.

Cdub2235

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014

You should read your own signature. Nearly every reply you've made is completely disregarding the other persons viewpoint or complaint. You're dead set on. "I use a phone like a phone not a desktop" in other words I have a standard I hold when I use a phone. It doesn't match yours so you're wrong and I'm right. Don't complain to me.

Define a smartphone
Define a phone
Define a netbook
Define a laptop
Define a desktop replacement
Define a desktop
Define a tablet

When you're done think about how many use cases there are for each category. Who are you to define specific use cases for the entire population?

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

What workarounds? iOS is behaving exactly as expected when it runs low on RAM.

----------

Apple expecting users to know what they're doing? Oh really?

Q: How do you close applications when multitasking?
A: (Scott Forstall) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it.
A: (Steve Jobs) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
You should read your own signature. Nearly every reply you've made is completely disregarding the other persons viewpoint or complaint. You're dead set on. "I use a phone like a phone not a desktop" in other words I have a standard I hold when I use a phone. It doesn't match yours so you're wrong and I'm right. Don't complain to me.

Define a smartphone
Define a phone
Define a netbook
Define a laptop
Define a desktop replacement
Define a desktop
Define a tablet

When you're done think about how many use cases there are for each category. Who are you to define specific use cases for the entire population?

What workarounds? iOS is behaving exactly as expected when it runs low on RAM.

----------

Apple expecting users to know what they're doing? Oh really?

Well, I've been using iOS devices since the release of the iPhone 4S and the first time I've seen an issue related to low RAM was in the past couple of days when I opened 17 tabs in Safari. The only explanation I can find is that I don't expect desktop system performance from my iOS devices. Could my expectations be making the difference? If I'm wrong in the way I treat my devices, I'll stay wrong.. it seems to keep me from experiencing the same issues others are seeing.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down an iPhone that had more RAM, I just don't see the need for increased memory with the current operating system. Clearly not everyone shares my opinion.

Last edited:

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
LOL? If you are fine with Safari tabs and apps reloading then good for you but others needs true multitasking. Waste money for more RAM? Then lets go for 512MB or even lower.

I think you may have missed the point he was making which is people use phones as phones and thus not everyone needs a high spec phone.
However I agree with your point too, for those that use the iPhone as their main go-to device then more RAM is the way forward.

Perhaps Apple should offer 2 options. I guess they kinda do that anyway by offering older models alongside the current model.
Or where the iPhone 7 is concerned they could have 3 models:
iPhone 7 (low spec), iPhone 7 Plus (higher spec) and iPhone 7 Edition(? lol) (higher spec and bigger size).

:cool:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Well, I've been using iOS devices since the release of the iPhone 4S and the first time I've seen an issue related to low RAM was in the past couple of days when I opened 17 tabs in Safari. The only explanation I can find is that I don't expect desktop system performance from my iOS devices. Could my expectations be making the difference? If I'm wrong in the way I treat my devices, I'll stay wrong.. it seems to keep me from experiencing the same issues others are seeing.

There you go again, completely disregarding another person's viewpoint or complaint. I presented you with a quote from Apple that users don't have to think about multitasking, but by suggesting workarounds that's exactly what we have to do: think about (not) multitasking. I could have summed up your entire post with "works for me".

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
There you go again, completely disregarding another person's viewpoint or complaint. I presented you with a quote from Apple that users don't have to think about multitasking, but by suggesting workarounds that's exactly what we have to do: think about (not) multitasking. I could have summed up your entire post with "works for me".

Well, I'm not the one suffering memory issues. I'm assuming that is because I don't expect desktop system performance from my iOS devices.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Well, I'm not the one suffering memory issues. I'm assuming that is because I don't expect desktop system performance from my iOS devices.

I don't think that anyone seriously expects desktop performance from their phone or tablet. With my 6+ I did however expect at least as good multitasking performance as my two generations older iPhone 5. I expected better actually, but to see not only worse but MUCH worse multitasking was a shock. So no, I'm not expecting desktop performance from my phone. I do however expect the most expensive smartphone on the market to be able to multitask between one open app and one or two browser tabs. Sadly such basic performance is beyond the current iPhone 6+.

----------

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down an iPhone that had more RAM, I just don't see the need for increased memory with the current operating system. Clearly not everyone shares my opinion.

You can forget 17 browser tabs. Open one app such as Amazon. Dial in a search. Now exit and open one Safari tab. Google a product that you've just been looking at in one of the aforementioned apps. Now open the Ebay app and see if the product is available any cheaper. Now go back to the Amazon app. Oh dear, it has reloaded and you've lost your search details. Never mind, type them all in again. Now go back to the Ebay app. Oh dear, the tiny amount of RAM has caused that to reload too and you've lost your search. Never mind eh? So that's two apps and one Safari tab. Basic usage I'm sure you'll agree, and nothing like your '17 tabs' example.

Oh and if you're looking to blame this on the third party apps, my iPhone 5 handles this test just fine. No reloading.

EdenTan

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I'm currently using an iPhone 5 jailbroken on ios 7.1.2

Animations set at 0.5 speed
Reduce transparency on and used a tweak whereby it'll remove those grayscale effects when you turn on "reduce transparency"
Installed bloard (Dark Keyboard)

Running like a champ. Used 2 5S(es) and 1 iPhone 6 before moving back to this iPhone 5.

Loving this black&slate color and no regrets moving back.

Ios 8 is a disaster. I'll keep ios 7.1.2 till it dies on me.

NyAmbAf.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.