Does Anybody Use Google Voice As Their Main Line?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Neverbepeace, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Question.....

I want to use google voice as viop. I know they have a tweak in cydia to allow the native app on the iphone to send and reply to google voice sms.

Is there an app that will allow phone calls to send/receive while phone is awake/sleep?

I tried Talkatone.....once phone is asleep, if I get a call, i will pick it up, but it wont activate the call (frustrating)............Anybody has a great set up with google voice where everything functions?

2. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

What is the name of the app you mention?

3. AnionicStrength macrumors member

SMS GV Extension

4. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Yup......now, how to set up google voice over viop? Thanks

5. maturola, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

there is no way to do that since GVoice is NOT a VOIP service, all the do is to switch and connect the calls, You will always use your plans minutes, the biggest advantage is that you can make a local phone call while calling someone international.

6. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

What about skype?

I have skype set up to identify itself when I make outgoing calls as my google voice number. Now this doesn't really help for incoming as they'll just be forwarded to your other number but if someone calls you then you can just turn around and call them right back using skype.

7. AnionicStrength macrumors member

Talkatone is the only way to do what you want for free, as far as I know.

If you don't like that, you can pay the ~6 USD a month for a Skype In number and forward your GV calls to that. Then you can use the Offical GV app to Click2Call to your Skype In number. (Settings > This phone > Don't use for calls)

8. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I recently read Gmail calling is extended to be free for 2011. But after that it won't be free anymore? If so, I'm guessing talkatone won't work for free voip anymore?

BTW, I use GV as my main line but not voip. It's mainly to get free texting.

9. JohnDoe98, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Well if Acrobits can make software to do it, what is stopping a developper from simply making the phone app do what softphone or other similar apps do? Place call from GV and receive the call back in the phone app from a voip like gizmo or sipgate. Would be awsome.

The same dev already has a partial implemention with his Phone GV Extension. He's only missing the ability to receive VOIP or Talkatone in it.

10. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

ok,

the set up I have is through talkatone. I can call/receive calls while not in the app since it has push. I did the sms gv extension and I can send/receive text through my native message app:D

I tested 3G voice and I have to say is great. However, I think the true test will be getting in a car and making a phone call while traveling. I did do a 15 minute walk to the store all while talking over 3g through talkative......i didn't drop the call and it was very clear on the way there and back. Better then Textfree voice.

This seems like a great combination......:D

11. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

You mean Talkatone? I heard it has lower bitrates than straight VOIP, I wonder how the two compare.

12. Neverbepeace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

13. kaazbeast, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

kaazbeast macrumors newbie

Google voice is voip free incoming and out going calls with no sim card. just wifi!!

actually you will not use your plains minutes while using google voice on iphone via talkatone. currently i have an iphone 2g and 4g....my iphone 4g has no sim card in it because there is no baseband unlock for 2.10.04 at this time, so i basically have a very expensive ipod touch lol. BUT.....here is the fun, i installed talkatone in the iphone 4 "i have no sim card installed" i used my macbook to log on googlevoice and clicked on "SETTINGS" on top right of page the click "VOICE SETTINGS" then put a check in the 1st box for "foward to chat"
    that will allow you to get incoming calls in addition to making calls!!!!!!!
    AND YES THIS ALSO WORKS FOR IPOD AND IPAD!!!!!!!! NO MORE OVERAGES!!!HAVE FUN AND ENJOYYYY!!!!:)