Does anybody use iCloud for their primary email?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by DramaLLama, Jan 18, 2014.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

Right now I have my @outlook.com email address set up as my iCloud account, what is the iCloud email thing?... is it "@icloud"?

Also does anyone here use Apple's email service as their primary email? If so, do you typically access it via the web interface or with the Mail.app?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use the Apple email service as my primary email. Mine is the @mac.com addresses from back in the day of .Mac, before MobileMe and before iCloud. But it's still the same service.

When I'm on my Mac's I use Apple's Mail.app, when I'm at work on my Windows PC, I use the web interface. On my iOS devices, I again use the Mail.app.

3. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

What is it now if it's not @mac?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

For people signing up now for a new account it is @icloud.com.

5. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I have my own email services with my domains but I do have a few forwards that act as drop boxes for mail that land in my iCloud and me.com and gmail boxes.

I don't distribute my iCloud email addy but I do use the imap service to store mail via Thunderbird on my computer. That way if my computer crashes I have a redundant back up of all my stored messages.

6. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

I have another question, does the mail that stays on the server eat up the 5gb free storage limit for your iCloud account?

7. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Yes

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You can go into iCloud's web page settings for it and create a @mac address as an alias.

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have several primary emails--but I have been using iCloud more and more to sign up for new accounts. I generally don't change email preferences for sites I join so many have my ISP email which I have had since 2000.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have a iCloud email address but I don't use it because Apple does not let me delete this email address in case I get spammed. :apple:

11. GordonGekko999 macrumors regular

You can't create an @mac alias, you are only allowed to create @icloud as an alias.

12. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Why not create alias addresses to use?

13. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Apple supports "+" aliases, e.g.: username+string@icloud.com

A.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

No Apple made it because I was a .Mac customer when it changed.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

----------

[/COLOR]
    So I can add alias address and remove my original address? :apple:

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope. You can never remove the original.

17. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I spent all of 2012 debating this issue. Searching for this type of thread every other month or so to see the consensus. By the end of 2012 iCloud seemed to have gained some standing so I switched and have been pleasantly surprised.

I haven't had a single issue with it throughout 2013; it is my personal email and I have school gmail.

18. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

What you do is not use the original email and only use your aliases--then if one of them gets more span than you can handle, you delete it and create another one.

19. Alrescha macrumors 68020

To clarify, you do not have to do anything to 'create' an alias using "+". They just work. There is nothing to add, and nothing to delete.

A.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will work, but it defeats the purpose of keeping your "real" email address away from spammers. The spam bots know to strip out that + business to get to your true email address and you will end up on spam lists.

I believe what bobr1952 is suggesting is a better method. You make your iCloud email account under say bob@icloud.com and never ever even use it for anything. Then make an alias at iCloud.com under that account called jimmy@icloud.com. Then only ever give out jimmy@icloud.com for emails. If you start getting spammed too much at jimmy@icloud.com, just login to iCloud.com and kill that alias and make a new one ralph@icloud.com and start using that.

21. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Yup--that works out great for me--and easy to manage too. :)