Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
just wondering where are all the people who have zero problems? If I’m going to spend over $1000 I would like to hear some positive stories as well... is 2018 iPhone XS the lemon of all iPhones? I’m guessing thousands were sold, so what’s the percentage of the bad apples?

jackvancs

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2017
just wondering where are all the people who have zero problems? If I’m going to spend over $1000 I would like to hear some positive stories as well... is 2018 iPhone XS the lemon of all iPhones? I’m guessing thousands were sold, so what’s the percentage of the bad apples?

I've had my 256GB XS Max since the day it came out and I haven't had any issues. My girlfriend has a 256GB XS and she says she hasn't had any problems either. I had an 8 Plus before this and to be honest, I don't think the XS is worth $300+ more than that phone. The 8 Plus was a great phone too.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Same as above, no problems at all. My wife also has the same exact phone and also no problem. So there’s 3 stories of success for you.

Reactions: HurricaneTrack

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
The screen is a bit warmer than I’d prefer, so I have trutone turned off, but otherwise I have experienced no issues and it is amazingly fast with very very little reloading due to the 4GB of memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: uknation87

est1738

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I have a 64gb xs and it seems to be a good working device. I had a very troublesome experience with the XR and came back to good ole trusty Xs.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
256G XS for nearly a month

0 problems

I wish it was a little smaller but I want a dual-lens iPhone since it can be worked one-handed. Pinch-zoom requires two hands, a luxury that I do not enjoy.

Much better fit to my hand than the 7 Plus I had before that, likewise, had 0 problems in the two years I owned it..

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I had two issues with my XS Max. First unit the back plate was lifted In one corner and not flush. Store exchanged it no issues after seeing it. Second one had signal issues. First iPhones I have had that had issues and I’ve had them all.

Got the XR and it was amazing. So amazing my wife took it from me. Lol. Just got a XS 256 for myself because I wanted the gold and something smaller and so far zero issues. Great signal build is great. Screen looks nice although it’s hard for me to tell the difference between the XR and XS since my eyes aren’t the best.

Could be that my XS is brand new and a new batch is built better or the new software fixed the signal problems. I’m not sure. All I know is for now the XS is perfect.

Reactions: scubatopy

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
iPhone Max and XS here no shuttering issue but receiption is not as good as previous phone based on signal bar but no drop out yet

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

AT&T user. No better than worse than my 8+. Still sucks at my house.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
256 XS here and seems to be perfect. None of the aforementioned issues whatsoever.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I have occasional signal issues but not sure whether those are the phone or the network (in the time I’ve had this phone I’ve also had a fair few texts from my carrier about problems in my area).

Mostly I love my XS although I’d love it more if it were the size of my old 6s.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

I have an Xs Max with no issues.

AudibleNectar

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
No issues whatsoever of any lasting consequence. Live blogged a 10 day Las Vegas trip, complete with photos, both on cellular as well as two different resort companies wi-fi (these did ask me to relog in after a time but that's a daily procedure). Had an iPhone 8 plus alongside as comparison. That was a pretty good stress test, as well as my home situation where cell is spotty (in a valley, etc). I played with this on acquisition, too.

If this certified internet idiot can liveblog a 10 day Las Vegas trip when using his cellular phone-as-tablet/only computer in stable for the first time (I always had another way. laptop, tab, etc) then trust me this phone is working A-OK. In addition, when I got this in my hands at initial release, I read here and did everything i could do to prove this phone was defective and should be returned in favor of some other option, be it Apple or otherwise, and couldn't accomplish that either. This is not to minimize the issues others are having - but if my phone doesn't show a problem, it doesn't show a problem, and it gets into the realm of audiophiles reading spec sheets rather than listening to the gear to make their evaluations.

I did have some glitchiness uploading photos and a few other things in the 12.0.1 but a restart took care of those, and the 12.1 seems even more "out of the way" in that sense.

I suspect that my phone/carrier/whatever else in the ether came together as it should. This again does not mean that others aren't having issues, but I don't typically return product that works as it seems it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.