Does anyone actually put shells or cases on their MBAs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Retina MacBook, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having an ultra thin notebook?

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Some are really thin. I just used an STM Jacket, I can take out when I use it. Not going to get it all dented up carrying it around with me.

3. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Just a sleeve I slip it in when traveling, otherwise it's naked as can be. Got my MBA 11" in December of 2010. Nary a scratch on the thing. I find shells and cases completely unnecessary. The rubber feet protect the bottom from rubbing up against any surfaces. And if you just take care of the thing, the rest of it will be fine as well.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I took mine off and left it naked. I leave the house with it everyday. No dents.

5. mjcharlton71 macrumors member

I've put a Speck SeeThru Satin on my MBA. Gets thrown around as a work and play machine, so needs some level of protection for me really. Spotless beneath the shell, which takes an hammer the Air might get if it wasn't wrapped.

The shell itself doesn't really add much weight or bulk at all, and the anti-roll feet on the back stop it from getting pushed over.... great piece of kit and worth wrapping round your Air if you're at all worried.

AS ever, it's YMMV and all that and very much personal taste.

6. Glockron macrumors member

Mine is 100% naked, apart from a slim sleeve that I keep it in during my commutes. I always keep my products naked. I don't see the point in covering something up to prevent scratching if you're never going to enjoy the nice surface anyway. If it comes to it - enjoy it as it is naked, and then maybe cover up the scratches (if you're unfortunate enough to get them) afterwards.

7. snow blind macrumors regular

Quoted for truth. Even more so with beautifully designed Apple products. Plus... a good patina on modern electronics can look as good as some worn in leather boots.
    [​IMG]

8. xfs macrumors member

I have seen some Airs with Speck Satin. They look very hot.

9. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I had a clear coat shield (like zagg but better) on my 11-inch 2011 Air. I'm debating for my 2012 13 when it arrives. leavening to iCarbons. Liked how that came out on iPad

10. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I'm not a "case" guy, as I want to retain the thin profile. I do, however, like to avoid scratches. My favorite skin right now is the brushed aluminum from icarbons. It does a great job of protecting from scratches, and retains the look of the base product, while adding a bit of "grip".

11. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

I prefer my Macbook Air in all its NAKED glory ;)

I do carry it in a Joli sleeve, though. when not in use

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I also have a Joli sleeve too. Such a lovely sleeve.

13. tomaseriksson macrumors member

tomaseriksson

No shell/case for me, I love my macbook air nude

14. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a