Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Just a sleeve I slip it in when traveling, otherwise it's naked as can be. Got my MBA 11" in December of 2010. Nary a scratch on the thing. I find shells and cases completely unnecessary. The rubber feet protect the bottom from rubbing up against any surfaces. And if you just take care of the thing, the rest of it will be fine as well.

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I've put a Speck SeeThru Satin on my MBA. Gets thrown around as a work and play machine, so needs some level of protection for me really. Spotless beneath the shell, which takes an hammer the Air might get if it wasn't wrapped.

The shell itself doesn't really add much weight or bulk at all, and the anti-roll feet on the back stop it from getting pushed over.... great piece of kit and worth wrapping round your Air if you're at all worried.

AS ever, it's YMMV and all that and very much personal taste.

Glockron

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
Mine is 100% naked, apart from a slim sleeve that I keep it in during my commutes. I always keep my products naked. I don't see the point in covering something up to prevent scratching if you're never going to enjoy the nice surface anyway. If it comes to it - enjoy it as it is naked, and then maybe cover up the scratches (if you're unfortunate enough to get them) afterwards.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I don't see the point in covering something up to prevent scratching if you're never going to enjoy the nice surface anyway.
Quoted for truth. Even more so with beautifully designed Apple products. Plus... a good patina on modern electronics can look as good as some worn in leather boots.
Screen-shot-2011-05-06-at-9.12.51-AM.jpg

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I had a clear coat shield (like zagg but better) on my 11-inch 2011 Air. I'm debating for my 2012 13 when it arrives. leavening to iCarbons. Liked how that came out on iPad

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not a "case" guy, as I want to retain the thin profile. I do, however, like to avoid scratches. My favorite skin right now is the brushed aluminum from icarbons. It does a great job of protecting from scratches, and retains the look of the base product, while adding a bit of "grip".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.