Does anyone actually realize that they're paying $199-$699 only to have...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jessica Lares, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Advertising on EVERY single application you'll be using?

Personally, that REALLY bugs me. I mean, why pay a premium price for a device that will be littered with it? What's stopping a developer who makes you pay $9.99 in the first place put these iAds in aswell? So while the new screen is supposed to be amazing and all, we'll have half of it missing so that these developers can make an extra quick buck.

2. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

Um thought I heard you could opt out of the iAds so you don't see them.

3. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Does anyone actually realize that you're paying $500 to $4000 dollars on a computer and $40 to $200 dollars per month on internet access to see ads on ever website you visit?

It's life. Welcome to it.

4. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I'm sure Google doesn't advertise within Android....:rolleyes:

5. ginsengbomb macrumors member

Great point! I like how it is now, when none of my apps have any ads!

:rolleyes:

6. Mercaptan macrumors regular

It's an interesting point. I haven't seen the iAds terms to see if they can add ads to apps that have already been purchased.

Either way it goes, will developers want to get slammed with bad reviews for their apps if they suddenly drop in advertising into their formerly ad-free app? I think a degree of transparency will be demanded by the public.

The claim that there'll be advertising in every app will just be plain wrong.

7. garp macrumors member

What makes this an issue unique to Apple? What's to stop Microsoft embedding ads in Excel or Windows after you pay a "premium" price for their applications? It's all based on a relationship of trust between the developer and the customer. Developers could do this, but I suspect the court of public opinion would come down on them quite hard and their ratings in the Apple store would tank.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Consumer backlash. I think, generally, developers will use ads in "lite" versions but not in paid versions.

That said, do you realize people pay $200 to $3K and more for TVs only to have ads on every single TV show. People pay $1000 for upgraded car audio only to have ads on every single OTA commercial radio station. People pay $2 for newspaper and $5 for mags only to have ads on many pages.

9. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

[PWNT]"Does anyone actually realize that you're paying $500 to $4000 dollars on a computer and $40 to $200 dollars per month on internet access to see ads on ever website you visit?

It's life. Welcome to it."[/PWNT]

I just didn't think quoting the post would do it justice.

10. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

you heard wrong. opting out just means you will not get targeted advertising. you will still get ads. you are better off not opting out... at least the ads will be for things that actually interest you.

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

I guess I'm missing the step where everyone is thinking ads will be in all apps. Nor the step where me getting a free app with ads instead of paying for it.

12. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You can block ads on websites, you can switch the stations/channels on radio/tv, you can flip a page in a newspaper. iAds, they're there until you exit apparently.

13. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

You're right. Instead of catching a game on my paid device filled with advertising I'm going to march down to the stadium, buy a ticket, and sit in the stands were there aren't any advertisements at all.

Then I'll go home and surf from my PC over my paid Internet connection and check the news on all of the advert free media sites.

I might even switch on the TV I paid for and watch a few programs on cable (that I also paid for) and enjoy commercial free programming there as well.

In the morning I'll drive to work in the car I paid for on expressways that I (indirectly) paid for, where there aren't any billboards along the way.

Oh wait....

14. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I doubt they realize a fact that does not exist.

Some apps have advertising. Some of them will have iAds. Apps that do not currently have advertising won't get ads unless the developer chooses to include them. You can then choose to remove the application and tell the developer why you did.

But if someone chooses to release an app at a lower price because he's banking on advertising revenue, that's his choice. The only difference is that iAd will provide a more seamless experience, so that an accidental tap on an ad won't dump you into Safari. For that reason alone I hope nearly all advertising switches to iAd.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

AFAIK only free apps will have ads (dunno if this is by choice or by Apple mandate). No reason for paid apps to, but if they did, and people made it known with low ratings and negative reviews, best believe i'll stay away also.

16. quotison macrumors member

You not buying the application is what is going to stop developers from charging both 1) lots of money and 2) putting lots of advertisements. You'll either have to pay, or see advertisements (you're not entitled to free services of developers, no matter how much you pay for your phone), but developers that try to get away with lots of both aren't going to get a lot of downloads. There's a vibrant market for apps and plenty of competition, which means that prices are likely to be reasonable, whether that price is measured on how much money you pay, or how many ads you view.

17. shandyman Suspended

lol you realise there's ads already? iAds just replaces those ones.....

edit: plus who says its gonna be on every app?? its not, unless you can provide sources....

18. KingHuds macrumors 6502

One more reason to jailbreak,I gaurantee there will be some sort of jailbreak mod to block iAds.

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Developer's don't have much incentive to put ads in to paid versions of apps. Sure they make money off the ad but if you're selling less apps because of it...

20. monksealpup macrumors regular

Wow, you convinced me. I am canceling my order right now. You're a hero!

21. bobab8ey macrumors member

You can sell your iPhone and buy an Android device. Problem solved.

22. Gagoots macrumors regular

This thread could easily be merged with the "wearing thin" thread.

23. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Its not every single app. I highly doubt the camera app is gonna have an ad scrolling across the top of it.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And you can buy an Android, Blackberry or Windows Mobile device if it bothers you that much, though some apps on those platforms are ad-based as well. But then if it REALLY bothers you that much, you could also just do what we all did prior to July 2008 when the app store went live: made do without apps.

And you're still wrong: not every app will have ads. You're more likely to see them on apps that are free, or from for-pay apps coming from particularly greedy app developers, whose app will likely be voted down in favor of someone else's add-free app.

25. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I meant non-Apple made apps. The image of that though... LOL.

Oh, and I'm getting an Android, that's the only brand I don't have yet. I have Windows Mobile, Blackberry, etc.