Does anyone actually use Color.app (fcp studio 2) ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sceneshifter, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I'm trying to use it, but it keeps crashing for example, not what I was expecting for the price paid. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong... I was looking forward to use it for post production, for importing a finished movie and adjusting the overall feel of it by playing with the overall color. Now I find that it simply won't import my movies, it does import my pictures. What am I doing wrong?

Also, as I will not give up on this app, are you using it, and what's your workflow like?

Cheers!

2. sk8r527 macrumors member

I use color almost everyday and it never crashes. Have you installed color 1.02?

3. -DH macrumors 65816

4. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Awwww, ok. Everything else turns just fine on this one however. Damned Color, damn you! :eek: Looks like Color will remain an app for at the office, and not on the road :-(

It is the last upgrade etc... yes, still silly it dosn't work on a Macbook. I mean just to do some color edits (nothing major), would've been nice... The one in FCP gives me no trouble at all (ok yes yes, is way simpler)

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'm interested in Sceneshifter's second question as well: what is your workflow like?

I've used it for a few projects and I would import the raw footage and grade all of it that way, then import the color-graded footage in FCP to cut it together. Is that reasonable, or would you grade after editing?

PS Why does Color's GUI suck so bad? :(

6. sk8r527 macrumors member

Most of the time i use the send to color button in final cut pro.

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Without having actually done much grading in Color, I'd say the best workflow is to grade after picture lock. Rather than find an look that fits all your shot footage, you find a look that fits each scene and even shot, without having to find a middle ground using footage that ends up being cut out anyway.

And to answer your question about the GUI, it's because Color was purchased by Applw as a full and complete software from Silicon Color under the name FinalTouch. They ended up not spending the resources to re-tool the appearance to match that of the rest of the suite, and rather focused on ensuring stability especially in cross-compatibility.

8. javajack macrumors newbie

Yes, People are actually using Color

I saw this post and had to stop in to comment. We use Color at our facility grading national and international productions. It is an amazing product and works well without issue. I could write paragraphs but don't feel I need to. The original post is by someone who has no color correction or grading experience and knows little about Color's potential capabilities. Color correction is an art form and can either change a production wildly for good or bad so it has to be done with knowledge and care.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The next time you feel the need to comment on a thread from 2007 please don't.;)

Lethal

10. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Since this thread was brought back from the dead I might as well say this, Shake was also purchased by Apple from a German company. It used to have some crazy buttons like ones with a goat, and one that said reveal and had a picture with a guy in a rain coat. When you click on the reveal button, the guy would open his rain coat and reveal himself. An Apple creative told me this. He said that when he was at Cupertino being trained, Apple had just bought the rights to Shake from Nothing Real and the rest of the company along with it. They showed the creatives in training and said they were going to be removing and replacing many buttons like reveal.

David