Does anyone actually use coverflow?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Europe calling, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Europe calling macrumors regular

Europe calling

I tried it when i installed Leopard last november. Have never used it since and will not anymore.
    Column view is much more practical to me. :)

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

when browsing through my pictures folder, cover view actually makes most sense since i'm usually looking for a specific image and am never sure what the title was. aside from that, it's split between column view and icon view.

3. theman macrumors 6502a

i use coverflow only when looking through images. just flip through it, and hit space for quicklook. a lot easier than opening preview. i also occasionally use it for docs, but mostly i use spotlight to find those. i'm mainly in list view.

4. kostia macrumors regular

I use list view almost all the time. I hate column view! Cover flow is very useful when looking through a folder of images, PDFs, Illustrator documents, etc. (I'm a layout artist).

QuickLook, though, I use constantly. The day there's a QuickLook plugin for InDesign files is the day my world is complete.

5. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i mostly use column view, but i haven't given icon view a real chance yet. coverflow is useful for images and powerpoints, but thats about it.

quicklook is a blessing though. i use it soooo much.:apple:

6. aosman macrumors 6502

I use it for Images as well. It doesn't bother me when its on

7. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

I use it constantly. Not just for images.

I'll be looking for a loan amendment. I know what it looks like, it should be the only one with my signature and the bank's signature.

But was it:

"2007 AmBank Loan Amendment 1.pdf"
    "Draft 07 AmBank Loan Amend.doc"
    "20071007 Amendment to AmBank Loan Terms.pdf"
    "Exec copy AmBank LA1.doc"

etc.

Who knows. Depends on my naming style that day, or if I was even the person to name the file.

But "flip... flip... flip... flip... I think that's it... spacebar... yep, that's it" is very fast and efficient.

8. one1 macrumors 65816

Never, I can see everything I want to see all at once by simply using the standard view. Coverflow is simply a way to slow me down.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i find icon view with icon preview (meaning shows image as opposed to generic icon) works the best for me.

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I use it when browsing for a specific word document, but that's the only time as it's usually rather slow.

11. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Count in me in the really loving coverflow camp. If you are dealing with lots of pictures particularily its really nice. Plus it is visual and we are visual creatures :)

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I only use coverflow when browsing movies in iTunes and photos in the finder, although most of my photos are locked in the Aperture vault and not viewable from the finder.

14. sas76 macrumors member

I also ise it for images, but what I would like is for it to automaticaly enlarge the finder window to a size that you can see easly.

I find it quite annoying clicking cover flow, increasing the finder window to just about fill the screen, click back to column view and decrease the size of the finder window.

Funny how the samllest things can annoy you.

15. Templex macrumors regular

I don't use coverflow at all. First of all I can't stand list views, and second it takes up way too much space on my little screen.

16. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Most of the people I work with are terrible with naming documents. So I use it all the time, actually.

17. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I tend to use list view and press the space bar to activate the quickview pane.
    I then scroll the directories with the arrow buttons.

18. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I never use it. i use thumb nail view for my picture folders and regular icon view for everything else

19. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Now why didn't I think of that!?

I still qualify as a recent switcher and I have not thought of using Cover Flow for documents like that.

This is going to be so much better than relying on thumbnails & guessing from file dates! :D

20. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Only when I know someone's going to look at my MB and I want to impress them... :D

But I don't really use it at all, just for browsing pics. Using the trackpad to scroll to a general area, and then trying to get the specific icon can be a PITA. It's much easier to do with a mouse. I like icon view, with large icons. And quicklook is kinda, like, amazing.

21. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I did in the beginning, just because it was cool looking, but I found icon view to be a lot better for my needs. And in this lies the beauty of OS X, there are more choices, therefore everyone can find what they like.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Agreed. Never use it.

Doug

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What are you smoking?:eek:

Granted MS takes choices to the extreme, but still...

24. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I never use it. Quick Look works in any of the view modes, not just Cover Flow view. The problem with the new Finder is that if I set it to Cover Flow view then it means every time I open a new Finder window (which defaults to the Home folder), I get 10 useless folder images (e.g. Picutres, Movies, Sites, Public, Documents, Music, etc) that take an age to load and all look the same. And it's such an efficient way to browse a folder.

Also, older applications or documents with 128x128 icons look unprofessional in that view because of zoom artifacts. This even includes some of Apple's own apps that still reside on my system and even the old version of Pages and Keynote.

In fact, my biggest gripe is that Quick Look doesn't support Pages and Keynote v1!!!! Even though Office v10 (now 2 generations old) is supported!!!!!!! :mad:

25. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

i used to like it until i got my iphone, now i keep trying to flick through everything! coverflow does seem to make more sense in a touch enabled environment