Does anyone actually use Launchpad??

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by dmillar74, Oct 23, 2014.

1. dmillar74 macrumors regular

I think I may have used Launchpad once or twice since it came out a couple years ago. Does anyone actually use it?

2. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

right-click -> "remove from dock". That's about the only time I've used it. :p

3. Liam555 macrumors regular

Liam555

I always use it. Much quicker than going into the applications folder. However, I probably wouldn't miss it if they were to take it off. (Much like the widgets)

4. emagsamurai macrumors newbie

I use it regularly. On my machine I can open Launchpad with a gesture and navigate to a particular app quicker than I can open the applications folder and do the same. That's just me, though :)

5. leventozler macrumors 6502

Same here, gesture > click on macbook, spotlight > enter on iMac

6. dmj102, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

dmj102 macrumors 6502

I use five finger "pinch in".

Edit: Also use a hot corner. It's quite quick. No need for Launchpad to take up space on the dock.

7. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

All the time with gesture with my trackpad on both iMac and cMBP.

8. KALLT macrumors 601

I don’t like it. It’s yet another layer of apps that you have keep organised in order to use it effectively. But it’s just as limited and clunky as the iOS home screen. I tried to arrange everything across several pages and it took me far too long, because you can only drag one app at a time and I often created folders by mistake. At some point my Launchpad reset itself and I couldn’t be bothered with it anymore. Sometimes it also adds applications to it that don’t need to be launched, like uninstallers, with no way of hiding them.

There were some attempts by third-party developers to bring some organisational tools, but last I’ve heard, Apple made it increasingly difficult for them to do so. That was enough for me.

9. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

I use it on a daily basis.

Sometimes I launch programs with Spotlight - but most of the time I use Launchpad.

I'm also not a fan of massive amounts of apps in the dock so Launchpad is the perfect solution for me.

10. Sangoma macrumors member

Never use it. Most often I launch programs using Spotlight, otherwise using Applications.

11. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

12. Junosbetterhalf macrumors member

13. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I like the little sparkly things around App icons while they're being updated.
    But I use a Script Menu to Access most of the Apps I ever use.

14. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

No, never used it.

Viewing/searching stuff in Icons view is very inefficient compared to doing the same in List view.

I've never ever understood people who browse files in Finder in Icons view either. Are they mad or have they not yet learned the Alphabet?

I dislike the home screen in iOS as well. Page after page with clunky icons is so stupid. You end up using spotlight just to find what you are looking for. If you have a A-Z list you would no exactly where to find what, as long as you know the Alphabet ;)

On OS X I always drag the Applications folder to my Dock and voilà, all applications are in list view A-Z.

15. koifish22 macrumors member

koifish22

I have it hot cornered in the bottom left. It's much faster than opening the applications folder.

16. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

I've never used Launchpad.

My only experience with this application was to instantly remove it from my Dock, after reading on some websites about its features.

To me, it is much faster to hit command-space and bring Spotlight up.

Cheers,

Mark.

17. petsounds macrumors 65816

It should be taken out back behind the barn (or the Spaceship) and shot.

For accessing apps, hitting Command-Space and typing the beginning of your app name, the pressing the Return key to launch it, is far faster than any GUI can provide.

18. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I run it, every time accidentally press F4. Haven't found a way to disable the key either.

App Store: snap. Assign cntl+x where x equals first letters of your favorite software. Launched or not it will be ready to go in an instant.

19. petsounds macrumors 65816

System Prefs -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Launchpad & Dock -> Show Launchpad. I have mine turned off, but I believe by default this is the F4 shortcut you speak of?

20. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Nope, the F4 key on newer macs has the launchpad symbol on it and everything. The only way to disable it would also disable volume, media, brightness, and keyboard backlight shortcuts too.

21. Nermal, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just tried that for the first time and ended up with a very transparent set of icons. Is it supposed to do that?

Attached Files:

22. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Working in a school, I keep it in the dock for the students. It's easier for them to find Applications using Launchpad.

23. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Thanks. Yeah, mine is off too but still works. Seems to need a hardcore key remap software.

24. dba415 macrumors 6502

I use it to open apps that I don't have on the dock. It's faster to pinch in to launchpad, especially if I'm only having one hand on the computer.

25. petsounds macrumors 65816

Weird. Mine has that F4 key also, but it only launches Launchpad with fn-F4, not just F4 by itself. I think all the fn modifiers are locked.