Does anyone constantly restore their iPhones to keep them snappy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Sep 23, 2008.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Is there any danger in doing this?

I assume that since everything's backed up, the newly restored iPhone will be identical to the old one?

2. Benjic macrumors regular

I'm not even sure why you would want to do this? Are you installing so much crap that it gets bogged down?

I could believe it if you were jail broken, but restoring and then pwning that often would be a PITA.

Short answer, yes it would work, but there isn't a feasible reason to do so, if your iPhone is acting up, get a replacement.

3. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

what does PITA mean?

anyways restore often? After 2.1 I'm debating whether to even reboot my phone once a week, the snappiness seems to always be there for me, then again i only have like 2 pages of apps

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

PITA = Pain In The A**

5. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

hahah makes sense, it took me a while to figure out AFAIK, guess im out of touch, sad for 26

6. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

In case you ever end up REALLY out of touch, click here: Linky

Regarding the OP, I occasionally power cycle my iPhone just to make sure no stuck apps are running in the background eating up my battery. I would only restore if something goes south and causes problems.

7. mrilyam macrumors newbie

umm Im not sure this is a good idea....restore does NOT = defrag, ive heard of isolated cases where iphones have been bricked from constant restores

if you need your phone to always feel "snappy" just reboot it every couple of days

8. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

9. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I only do it after software updates, other wise its as snappy as the next iphone

10. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I doubt there is any danger in it. I only do mine when i have to. Like after a freeze up or something. Its to big of a hassle.

11. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Used to, but figured a simple restart would also do the trick. So now I have a habit of syncing, then restarting, then syncing again every couple of days. That way, you have everything up to date, and it's as "snappy" as the day you got it! ;)

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

HEyyyyLLLL NO!!!! :D

Restoring it because of ALoD was such a pain. There's no way I'd do it just for fun. I haven't noticed it getting slowed up anyway.

13. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Exactly. I shut it down, and let it 'rest' for about 3 mins every few days, just like a PC.

14. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I've never restored my phone, and it's always snappy. About once a week, I power it all the way off, wait a few minutes, and then turn it back on. (a reboot)