Does anyone do anything to reduce their carbon footprint?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by peapea, Nov 21, 2008.

1. peapea macrumors newbie

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not especially.

I recycle, try to turn lights off etc, what I'd consider normal stuff that everyone should be doing not just for the environment, but themselves.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm bad, I don't recycle at home and I work 35 minutes away from home. I do turn off the lights when I leave the room and I keep my thermostat pretty normal.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Not really.

I turn lights off quite a bit, try to keep the thermostat in a reasonable range...

But I live less than two miles from work.

And I drive every day. :eek:

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I'd say we try our best…

We recycle almost everything (as much as the bloody council allows us :mad:);
    We compost stuff (raw kitchen scraps etc);
    All the main lights use "Energy saving" bulbs;
    Bikes and train for transport.
    Heck, we even grow most of our summer vegetables.

I'd install a wind generator and some sun panels, but our landlady would probably have a fit. :D

What more can be done stuck in a London suburb?
    :eek:

6. peapea thread starter macrumors newbie

i would recycle but my council doesn't supply the correct bins for it? and i dont think they filter the main waste for recyclable items

so all i can do is drive to the recycle plant to do it. but then isnt driving that far to do that doing harm in its self...

looks like your doing a lot! We have solar panels on our roof for hot water, they more like solar tubes really. I cant say in the winter they do a good job, you can probably get about half a bath full of luke warm water. but in the summer they are amazing and you can get a good 3 bath worths of steaming hot water every day if its a nice day.

7. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

To go along with the article:

I keep my tires inflated, use CFLs, use recycled paper (and recycle as much as possible), bought a new air filter and keep it properly maintained, thermostat is set to 68, buy products locally if available, fill the dishwasher completely, just bought a new refrigerator (only cause the old one died), have a low flow shower head, keep my car as up to date with tune ups and whatnot, recycle all that I can, gone organic long ago, try to unplug as much as I can (or turn off the surge protectors), turn off my computer when I'm not using it, have tons of trees in my garden, and my house is weather proof.

I turn lights off and use natural lighting as much as possible.

I mean no offense, but people should have started to do these things long, long ago. If they don't care about the environment, at least think about the monthly cost of utilities. I know that here in Pennsylvania, electricity will be jumping from 40-70% very soon. Yikes! :eek:

8. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Is the plant at least on the way to the store or work? A small detour wouldn't hurt nearly as badly as not recycling.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I got you beat on the thermostat... mine is at 67 right now. Ohhhh I feel special now.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I try. I recycle, use CFLs in about half the lights, keep my thermostat at 65 (I hate the dryness of heat) and try to not waste water.

11. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Congratulations. ;)

Seriously, though, that's great. It's good to see people helping out and using less when they can.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Us lot have always recycled, used old food and stuff for compost, used energy saving bulbs. Started to keep lights off when not needed and same for computers. I used to just leave my iMac and PC's on 24/7 but they all get shut down at night now.

13. tefleming macrumors 6502

Recycle as much as possible.

Had landlord install programmable thermostat.

Air dry half my laundry.

Of course, these last two save me money, which is the main reason I do them.

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I do most of the things on that list already, although I'll admit I do not recycle. The people that run the recycling centers around here scare me :eek:

63 my friend :)

15. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I do adhere to several of those items mentioned, so I guess I feel a little better about myself now.

However the thermostat hovers around 74-76 degrees this time of year. Winters are brutal in NY and I need to be warm. :)

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh yea, I like to keep warm so the thermostat is at 23 celcius though it never reaches above 20 in my room or the study over winter. Any lower than that and my fingers get too cold to work.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't drive, I use the trains and buses in the city. It's the best way to get around anyway, having a car is a liability here. I fart a lot though, so that may undo any benefit. :)

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

• I'm vegetarian (one of the most effective measures you can take)
    • I live in as small a space as possible
    • I walk or take public transit
    • I recycle religiously
    • I campaign for environmental change
    • I have most of my electronics wired to a master "off" switch
    • I use only biodegradable and recycled cleaning products
    • and a whole host of other small changes.
    My carbon footprint is tiny, and what little I can't reduce I offset with carbon offsetting or other environmental donations and initiatives, such as polar bear funds, the WWF, Greenpeace, salmon protection, etc.

19. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I don't print anything (ever) and I don't by books (only audiobooks). I also don't read the newspaper (I only read the news online and watch it on TV), and don't write, only type.

20. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I recycle when I can, setup a programmable thermostat (where's my Bluetooth-configurable one?!), use CFLs when I can, work at home so I drive much less, ride my scooter when I can, drink from the toilet...