Does anyone do forensics on the umbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Jun 21, 2009.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

Ever since I got into computer forensics, I switched from Windows to Mac. Up to this day, I still think I made the best choice of switching to a better, stable os such as the leopard. I always thought that it was ideal to have a mac for true, forensic work. Although, since I'm using a umbp, I want to know if anyone here use a macbook for forensic work as well. Any forensic guys? CSI clones? :D

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Interesting you chose a mac for forensics. Are there any applications for this?

I would think most vertical market (niche) software houses would go for the 90% Windows base when it comes to stuff like this.

3. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

I have not ever seen a Mac in the CSI series. Recently, several iPhones were clearly visible as "PDA" used by Lawrence Fishburne ( a great replacement) and in CSI Miami, the suspect's PDA was the iPhone.

Forensics are more human mind power rather than the tools used. Yes, the tools helps but the logic deduction comes from the mind....:rolleyes:

4. TXBDan macrumors regular

This is a joke, right?

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

why would it buy a joke lol?

6. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Well when it comes to stability and usefulness of a powerful OS as leopard, I find my umbp very ideal to my forensic work. It is comfortable to go with to college, to do side by side computer repairs (windows boxes lol). Speaking about the 90% computer forensic share of Windows, thanks to bootcamp and VMwawre, the ease is all there. With VMware, I have the freedom of using any operating system. So if there's a windows program that I really need to use I can just run vmware and work my way through.

The most I use for forensic work are linux distributions. I haven't heard of much forensic programs for the mac, but I do use alot of programs that leopard provide (such as the disk utility and many free utilities that can be found online). Programs like ClamXav, Burn, and many open source software available for the mac.

7. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Are you asking if anyone does crime forensics work from a Mac? Or are you asking if anyone does computer forensics on Macs?

First question, don't know. Second question, BlackBag Technologies.

8. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually both. By the way thanks for that info.