Does anyone else dislike the new dock?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Adamb10, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Adamb10 macrumors member

I have found with the new dock, it's really hard to see the little light that shows which programs are open. I practically need a microscope to see it. :eek: I hate it. Is their a fix for this?

2. kftrainer macrumors regular

kftrainer

Yes I find it is hard to detect the indicators when an application is open on the dock – it is quite frustrating, hopefully they will fix that make it darker.

3. million7 macrumors regular

no i thought that a new modern look was needed. It looks pretty cool and the indicator lights aren't hard to see. And I'm glad they got rid of the old tread marks.

4. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

It looks good and I am glad they at least spared the indicators. But that shadow is HUGE. It spoils light coloured wall papers.

5. maclook macrumors 65816

The first five apps in my dock are Finder, Mail, Safari, iTunes, App Store. They're all blue icons so their blueish reflection on the dock makes it especially difficult to see the indicator.

It takes a second longer to see if a program is open or not but I'm not constantly doing that so it's not a dealbreaker. I think it looks nicer than the old blue dots.

6. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

When Lion was first shown, they got rid of the indicator lights. I'm happy you could enable them after all. Can I see a screenshot of what they look like in ML?

7. 32KFJ macrumors regular

32KFJ

here you go... :)

Attached Files:

8. Jack9034 macrumors member

Jack9034

If you want the old one back you can put the dock position to the left or right and its back again :)

9. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

Thats not a good example. most poople don't have pure white under their dock.
    [​IMG]

10. 32KFJ macrumors regular

32KFJ

hm me neither... i did it with the snapshot feature (cmd + shift + 4 + space) :)

11. Meyvn macrumors 6502

I'm divided. I love the new dock's look, but I agree that usability-wise, it is a step backward.

Honestly, I'm just glad they didn't do that originally-in-Lion thing where they got rid of indicators and the bounce entirely.

12. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

Honestly i think they are much easier to see. well, at least on my darkish backround. I like the change. but i know that some people won't agree with me.

13. Meyvn macrumors 6502

I use a dark background too. But in my case, it's just a matter of size, not brightness. I use the 27" ACD, so if you look at that picture someone posted, it's not representative at all of my situation. My indicators are much, much smaller relative to the icons above them. The older ones were just way bigger.

14. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

you mean like this?

[​IMG]

15. Psycna macrumors member

Psycna

I think the new dock is cool, it looks pretty nice but yes, it's a bit hard to see the indicator lights. maybe they will find a solution in coming updates...:)

16. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I dig it, it looks much cleaner than the previous dock.

17. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

I use Mirage and have a transparent dock. I hate the white dock

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I haven't liked the way the dock looked since 10.5. I guess I'm one of "those people."

19. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I love the new dock, it's clean and sexy! Love those new indicator lights, subtle but elegant.

20. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I learn something new everyday, and 90% of the time its a command button combination on the Mac, lol.

21. Suanmiao macrumors member

22. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Are these from a retina display? They are so bright and colorful, compared to the Lion ones. I have an MBP late 2011 but am not running ML.

23. 32KFJ macrumors regular

32KFJ

mb pro late 2011... same as you

24. LxHunter macrumors 6502

That is what i have used since 10.6

25. santaseve macrumors newbie

Use the magnify feature that is available for the dock as you scroll over it. It works great! Go to system preferences, dock, and magnify.