Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
You have the £1000 iPhone X, which lets be honest you need to pay the extra for to get the 256GB version. I'd be happy with 128GB, but they obviously know that, so they stick with 64GB. Then you have the £700ish XR, which again you need to pay more fr the 128GB version, and while it's an okay phone, its too big and the screen is just okay.

Then I think where is the Mid Ranged phone? £700 is high end for Android, £1000 is ludicrous.... and all Apple can do for me is an iPhone 7 or 8 which are way overpriced for what they are. Why would I buy an Apple product at that price when Android offers so much more for less?

I used to be happy buying an iPhone for £500, it matched Android pretty much, simples....

However now when I come to my upgrade, I just think I'm going to buy an Android. It's not to say the iPhones are bad, I used to have an X, before realising I don't need to be spending that much and sending it back. I just think they're grossly overpriced now, which isn't something I would have said even 5 years ago.

Apple are going this way it seems, their new Macs are too expensive for the hardware inside them. When I used to use a work Mac in 2012, I didn't feel this way, but now Windows Laptops offer more for 1/4 of the price and have the build quality too.

I used to complain a lot about Apple products making weird decisions, like why would Apple make a HomePod that wasn't compatible with anything else? I would never buy a Speaker than was locked to Apple, give it Bluetooth support at the very least :/

However now we've entered an era where I cannot afford to buy their products any more. I mean I bought a Dell Laptop that is powerful enough for VR, it's made really well, I can easily upgrade it, it has a 120hr screen and it cost £600. Meanwhile on the MacBook you'll get nothing for that... maybe a refurb Air.

This was never Apple under the Steve Jobs era, yeah you had an underpowered MacBook, but it wasn't that underpowered, it could compete, and it was never that overpriced.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Ummm no? Android high end is in the $900 ballpark now with Maybe LG being excluded ? The Sony Xperia 1 is $950 or so, the Samsung S10 is in that same ballpark around $900, the Pixel 3 is around the $800-$900 field, the Note 10 is $990-$1,000. So the iPhone is in the same field as what I just mentioned

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You have the £1000 iPhone X, which lets be honest you need to pay the extra for to get the 256GB version. I'd be happy with 128GB, but they obviously know that, so they stick with 64GB. Then you have the £700ish XR, which again you need to pay more fr the 128GB version, and while it's an okay phone, its too big and the screen is just okay.

Then I think where is the Mid Ranged phone? £700 is high end for Android, £1000 is ludicrous.... and all Apple can do for me is an iPhone 7 or 8 which are way overpriced for what they are. Why would I buy an Apple product at that price when Android offers so much more for less?

I used to be happy buying an iPhone for £500, it matched Android pretty much, simples....

However now when I come to my upgrade, I just think I'm going to buy an Android. It's not to say the iPhones are bad, I used to have an X, before realising I don't need to be spending that much and sending it back. I just think they're grossly overpriced now, which isn't something I would have said even 5 years ago.

Apple are going this way it seems, their new Macs are too expensive for the hardware inside them. When I used to use a work Mac in 2012, I didn't feel this way, but now Windows Laptops offer more for 1/4 of the price and have the build quality too.

I used to complain a lot about Apple products making weird decisions, like why would Apple make a HomePod that wasn't compatible with anything else? I would never buy a Speaker than was locked to Apple, give it Bluetooth support at the very least :/

However now we've entered an era where I cannot afford to buy their products any more. I mean I bought a Dell Laptop that is powerful enough for VR, it's made really well, I can easily upgrade it, it has a 120hr screen and it cost £600. Meanwhile on the MacBook you'll get nothing for that... maybe a refurb Air.

This was never Apple under the Steve Jobs era, yeah you had an underpowered MacBook, but it wasn't that underpowered, it could compete, and it was never that overpriced.

For all of your reasoning and complaints I’d just say one sentence - value and expensive are relative terms.
Steve job’s era had iPhones placed at a premium range for the market as well. Apple products were never cheap. If you’re getting enough value for the money you spent, is a personal opinion and will vary from person to person.

For the last sentence about macs being underpowered, I’d say - you’re grossly misinformed.

In general comparing Android vs iOS is actually incorrect. You’re comparing Apple against every other manufacturer on the planet. If you’re going to go that way then compare on every other aspect of the companies, including software, services, ecosystems, support etc. When you think of it in broader views suddenly value for money changes.

Ummm no? Android high end is in the $900 ballpark now with Maybe LG being excluded ? The Sony Xperia 1 is $950 or so, the Samsung S10 is in that same ballpark around $900, the Pixel 3 is around the $800-$900 field, the Note 10 is $990-$1,000. So the iPhone is in the same field as what I just mentioned

And also, this!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
700 is not high end for android. High end is 800-1,000.

One plus is the one that priced well but still has missing features

shahzadghani7

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2017

I can feel you..and i too believe that if u buy an iphone ipad macbook apple watch earpods homepods .you are looking well over 5000$ and if you are sharp enough u can buy an high end android phone , tablet, watch and very good laptop ..and easily save 1500 to 2000$.. that's my opinion obviously everyone can buy what ever they want...but to me we should atleast openly talk about these high price strategies to discourage these big companies from taking further price hikes..rather than supporting their insane pricing decisions.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Apple devices are not underpowered, and they were still very very expensive under Steve Jobs. You seem to be annoyed you have been priced out of iPhone ownership, and the XR is £750 in the UK and it’s only £50 to double that, I don’t think any Android ha diet offers that pice for doubling storage.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
My answer to OP is no.

They are competitively priced for what you get. And, I think quality is above all other phones.

Ecosystem aside, Apple sells their iPhones about 2.5 times cost. That is cost of materials. If you add in R&D and marketing costs, plus usual expenses like payroll etc it is probably closer to 2 times. Maybe less. That's a 50% margin. Not unreasonable for a retail price from any company except maybe the food industry. IE a can of beans.

IMHO

Reactions: s15119

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I think this is all a matter of perspective…and desire.

Here's the thing. No one needs these phones.

That's right. No one needs them. At all.

People WANT them. And there's a difference.

Oh yes, people are going to say, I need it for this, I need it for that, no other phone has this or that. And sure, they may be right.

But guess what? A computer can do X. A professional camera can do X. A game console can do X.

But no one wants to lug those things around, or work their schedules around their availability. Because it's inconvenient. But people and business and industry got along before the iPhone and before the mobile phone. Sure, the phone made things easier, but it wasn't impossible before.

So, the phone, iPhone or otherwise is a luxury. It makes our lives convenient.

Now, there are other phones out there, even iPhones that cost less. But because there is a mentality that you have to have the most up to date iPhone, few people get last year's model or stick with an older model - all of which are still capable and cost less.

So, again…a luxury.

If getting the latest iPhone is a luxury then, why complain? It's like arguing the price of a Ferrari. It's a luxury item. Any old phone will make a phone call, send an SMS/MMS, browse the internet and take pictures.

But you want the latest, bestest and you want it at the price point you think you should pay for it.

Go try that attitude at your local Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, or Lexus dealer.

It's a luxury item, it always has been and if you want it…that's the price. Otherwise, there are plenty of other lower cost phones that will meet your 'need'.

PS. Never was in the Apple ecosystem. By the time of the iPhone 5 Apple was excluding PowerPC Mac owners.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio

Every Android phone you listed on new lines can be had for $500-$700 with 18,24 and 30 (ATT) month bill credits (depending on the carrier). The Pixel 3 (as of this week) is $349.99 unlocked (not bill credits, this is the price right away) if activated on a new line with Sprint.

Android phones tend to have really good deals after they age a year where iPhones basically never have good deals. There is the random BOGO or a bill credit discount over a two year period, but I don't think I've ever seen a modern iPhone (in any era) be heavily discounted with no strings attached.

Samsung just had a deal with new lines where the S10E was $399 unlocked on a new line, they had a deal on the S10 as well, I think it was $599? The fact is, iPhones don't need to have these types of deals because they hold their value for such a long time. iPhone 7's are still $450 new. A 2019 Pixel 3a is $399 new for comparison and beats it in every single category, but a lot of people would still chose a iPhone 7 (the ecosystem is so strong, iMessage, AirDrop, etc.,).

The Apple event is less than three weeks away and new phones are going to be announced. The iPhone 8 is still $599 new and the XR is still $749. No discounts from Apple to clear stock, there's no need to do so. Whereas Google has had multiple discounts on both the Pixel 3 and 3 XL and I bet they are still sitting on a ton of them (They are currently $300 off (!). Could you imaging how quickly iPhone XR's would sell out if they were $300 off?

Like we've seen discussed on this forum a million times, the iPhone is the gateway into the Apple ecosystem. It opens users up to a lot of products and features, it becomes a necessity and no longer "just a phone" if you're invested into the ecosystem even in the slightest. Add in family members who are also iPhone users, and it becomes even more of a necessity (in some peoples eyes).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Price is subjective. It depends what one values, you’re going to have those who will not hesitate to purchase Apple products given the prices, because they enjoy the experience that iOS offers and the hardware.

And yet on the opposite side of spectrum, you were seeing a large influx of consumers who are no longer willing to pay those prices for a smart phone, which is why cell carriers are enablers trying to make it an easier process through subsidized payments.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
Even as a current XS Max user, I think it's crazy to spend a ton on any smartphone. The extras when you approach $1000 simply aren't worth it IMO.

With this view, would you spend $1000+ on another iPhone again? I did it with the iPhone X and after two-three months of ownership the buyers remorse really kicked in. I don't think any modern flagship phone should cost more than $750 but we all know Apple is the trend setter and are truly the ones who "never settle".

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…which is why cell carriers are enablers trying to make it an easier process through subsidized payments.
Huh?

T-Mobile did away with subsidized contracts a long time ago. It's a big part of their whole 'Uncarrier' schtick. Verizon and AT&T followed. Sprint held out for quite a while, waffling back and forth, but finally ended subsidized phones about two years ago.

Where are you getting subsidies?

Reactions: compwiz1202

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Where are you getting subsidies?

You’re misunderstanding. Subsidized—>As in retaining the iPhone prices at a minimum separated into payments for the consumer to what they can afford when financed Based off the whole MSRP of the device through the carrier.

Reactions: eyoungren

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
In some markets, I have to agree.
(from here on, I'm using local MSRPs converted to USD).
In the region I'm at right now, the iPhone XR is priced at $1000 USD, and in the same market, that's the local MSRP for the Samsung galaxy S10 (not the S10e, but the regular S10). Obviously the positioning is way off, as the XR is supposed to be at $750, positioned at the S10e price point. The regular S10 is supposed to be going against the Xs, not the XR. I don't know if this is something that Apple can fix, but Apple is totally relying on their brand power for the people to justify the huge markup.

Meanwhile, the top Xs Max 512GB is priced at $1900 USD. That's $500 more than a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 512GB (and Samsung even throws in a free 43" TV with that Note 10+... :D). I mean are you willing to spend that extra $500? Most consumers probably won't.

I really hope Tim Cook is aware of this. I mean you can formulate all your pricing and marketing smarts all you want, but it's a bit silly when it only applies to the US market.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Android phones will always be cheaper, just like Windows PCs are cheaper than Macs.
But taking the competition out of the equation, this is what you get for $1000:

1. A pocket computer
2. A still camera
3. A video camera
4. A music player
5. A movie player
6. A tape recorder
7. A Bluetooth remote control device
8. A telephone
9. A text messaging device
10. Portable calendar
11. Clock & stopwatch & timers
And a whole lot more

So maybe Android devices are cheaper...but don't you think all that (on its own) is worth $1000?
That's cheaper than a MacMini which can't do almost all of that stuff.
I'm not defending Apple's rip off pricing compared to a few years ago, but if you bought separate devices to do everything the iPhone (or any smart phone) can do, you'd spend even more and it would require a backpack to carry it all

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Most iPhone users aren’t buying the £1k+ iPhones though and I think the fact the XR and older devices are still selling well means consumers have adjusted to the higher prices.

Some people are buying the XS variants and it has its market but the mainstream iPhone right now is the XR and that is priced competitively within a shrinking smartphone market.

I don’t feel priced out because I know I can get just as good an experience by buying an older device.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Most iPhone users aren’t buying the £1k+ iPhones though and I think the fact the XR and older devices are still selling well means consumers have adjusted to the higher prices.

Some people are buying the XS variants and it has its market but the mainstream iPhone right now is the XR and that is priced competitively within a shrinking smartphone market.

I don’t feel priced out because I know I can get just as good an experience by buying an older device.
XR going to be your next phone?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
With this view, would you spend $1000+ on another iPhone again? I did it with the iPhone X and after two-three months of ownership the buyers remorse really kicked in. I don't think any modern flagship phone should cost more than $750 but we all know Apple is the trend setter and are truly the ones who "never settle".
The only way I'd spend $1,000 on an iPhone again is if the screen folded. Otherwise no, not in its current configuration.

Reactions: Alundra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.