Does anyone else find implementations of "force touch" to be annoying so far?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by benguild, May 7, 2015.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

I hate slamming my finger into an app to see if it has any invisible options. Like I'm not going to go through every app to find those.... What was the thinking behind this? It's totally inconsistent amongst various things, and almost as annoying as [unintentionally] shaking your iPhone.

2. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I agree it isn't intuitive, but does seem a lot like right clicking on a desktop computer. You really never know what is going to be available via the right click context menu until you try it.

I am glad that it essentially acts like a 3rd button on the watch.

3. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess so, but the problem is that there's no indication (like a pulsing dot or something) that any of those functions are available. On the desktop, we come to realize that certain GUI is interactable and perhaps right clickable, and also those functions are all mirrored on the menu bar for selected items... usually.

I think desktop applications would suffer from similar UX issues if they hid random right-click options in places with no other indication :D

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

No need to 'slam'. Just like using the MacBook version, you press/tap like you do normally but then keep on pressing harder. It's 'force touch', not 'bash'.

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I don't find the implementations to be annoying.
    I do find the interpretations to be annoying though.

Unlike the right mouse button, they're using the same button to mean two different things. The problem is that the sensitivity is not adjustable, and Force Touches are sometimes received as a standard touch, and a standard touch is misinterpreted by the WATCH as a Force Touch.

This happens most when I'm in the Music glance or app, and I'm trying to switch tracks. Especially on a moving train, even if I miss the button ever-so-slightly to skip to the next track, or not, I start to see the interface shrink to go into the context menu.

6. haroldo macrumors newbie

Give it a week, it's a brand new technology that no one has used before last week. I remember when my company went from an "ABCDEF" keyboard to a "QWERTY" keyboard and everyone complained, too.

In a few weeks it will be second nature

7. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Yep, hard to remember that easy to learn is not the same thing as easy to use.

8. J.C macrumors 6502

Are you tapping hard (bad) or gently placing your finger down then pushing (good)? Not sure if you really meant 'slam' or not so I'm wondering if you've misunderstood the input.

9. TMW macrumors newbie

TMW

I enjoy it actually and I've found myself trying to do it on my iPhone 6 out of habit now.

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

This.

Once I realized how it works it is pretty cool.