Does anyone else find it annoying in dark mode on your MacBook Pro when browsing the web?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I'll be looking at notes, calendar, and other apps in Dark Mode and then as soon as I switch to Safari and go to Google or whatever other site that bright white light hits me HARD.

Is there anyway to make everything in Dark Mode including websites?

LogicalApex

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2015
In Catalina websites will be able to serve a dark theme if you are in dark mode. So you'll have that in about 1.5 months...

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can't force all websites to re-code for dark mode support. Some will continue to stay as they are. Continuing to use some of those sites will be on you...

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
In Catalina websites will be able to serve a dark theme if you are in dark mode. So you'll have that in about 1.5 months...
Will it be automatic? And also will it work on Firefox or Chrome?

I want to be able to fire up Google and it be in dark mode. The transition between dark mode and bright white web pages is tough on my eyes!
[doublepost=1565736578][/doublepost]
You can't force all websites to re-code for dark mode support. Some will continue to stay as they are. Continuing to use some of those sites will be on you...
What sites do Dark Mode? I haven't found a single one except Twitter!

bill-p

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2011
Or you could just... install Dark Reader and be happy. The extension for Chrome and Firefox is free, while the one for Safari is like the cost of a coffee cup.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
The version of Safari bundled with the current version of Mojave already has a CSS flag which tells websites when dark mode is enabled. It's up to the web developers to add support.

Reactions: LogicalApex

Stephen.R

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I've been using the Dark Mode for Safari app (https://apps.apple.com/th/app/dark-mode-for-safari/id1397180934?mt=12) for a while now. It's pretty good - IMO it gives a more consistent "Dark Mode" than some sites that have a 'native' Dark Mode (Im looking at you, Twitter). I've noticed in the Slack web app it can get a bit laggy if you enable it, but given that Slack appears to be the software equivalent of 1000 monkeys at 1000 keyboards, I hesitate to blame the plugin author for this slowdown - I haven't seen the same issue on any other sites.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Dark Mode looks fantastic in the Finder, and in Apple's apps. But for me, the reality is that it's not all that comfortable to work in when so many apps, websites and emails have bright white backgrounds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.