Does anyone else find it annoying in dark mode on your MacBook Pro when browsing the web?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hieveryone, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:38 PM.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I'll be looking at notes, calendar, and other apps in Dark Mode and then as soon as I switch to Safari and go to Google or whatever other site that bright white light hits me HARD.

Is there anyway to make everything in Dark Mode including websites?

2. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

In Catalina websites will be able to serve a dark theme if you are in dark mode. So you'll have that in about 1.5 months...

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You can't force all websites to re-code for dark mode support. Some will continue to stay as they are. Continuing to use some of those sites will be on you...

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Will it be automatic? And also will it work on Firefox or Chrome?

I want to be able to fire up Google and it be in dark mode. The transition between dark mode and bright white web pages is tough on my eyes!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:49 PM ---
    What sites do Dark Mode? I haven't found a single one except Twitter!

5. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

Automatic, but the website has to add dark mode support and support for the automatic switch before it is supported.

It is supported in FF, Chrome, and Safari.

6. bill-p macrumors 68000

Or you could just... install Dark Reader and be happy. The extension for Chrome and Firefox is free, while the one for Safari is like the cost of a coffee cup.

7. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

The version of Safari bundled with the current version of Mojave already has a CSS flag which tells websites when dark mode is enabled. It's up to the web developers to add support.

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

does it slow down the browser

9. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

I've been using the Dark Mode for Safari app (https://apps.apple.com/th/app/dark-mode-for-safari/id1397180934?mt=12) for a while now. It's pretty good - IMO it gives a more consistent "Dark Mode" than some sites that have a 'native' Dark Mode (Im looking at you, Twitter). I've noticed in the Slack web app it can get a bit laggy if you enable it, but given that Slack appears to be the software equivalent of 1000 monkeys at 1000 keyboards, I hesitate to blame the plugin author for this slowdown - I haven't seen the same issue on any other sites.