Does anyone else find it annoying there is no USB or SD slot

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VintageSlots, May 4, 2010.

1. VintageSlots macrumors member

I have not yet bought an iPad. I am waiting for the 3G version to come in at my local Best Buy (I refuse to buy it at the Apple Store).

Anyway, it seems like the fact that it does not have a USB and SD card slot in it to be a major inconvenience.

In order to plug a camera into it or a memory card I assume you have to purchase some proprietary cable from Apple. Just another thing to have to buy and haul around and risk losing or damaging.

Has lack of USB / serial card slot been a headache for those of you who have an iPad?

Thanks

2. stealthman1 macrumors regular

3. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Nope. No one has ever complained about the lack of USB or an SD slot.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Not a headache, something that makes very little sense to me and another reason to jump ship at the first opportunity. Not that it matters since I bought one (two actually) anyway... :rolleyes:

5. xraytech macrumors 68030

No

It's the top of the 2nd inning and the score is Whiners 1 - Winners 6

6. firepong macrumors newbie

For me, it hasn't been a headache since. But I am thinking about getting the Apple Camera Kit just because the USB connector from that can be used for USB Headphones as well as USB keyboards. Think I even read that it can be used with some kind of webcam to take pictures (this I am not sure, think it was a rumor).

P.S. With the jailbreak community, I'm sure they will find more uses out of the Camera Kit after a while :)

7. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

No. If you really need one buy the kit. And,no, no special cable.

8. xraytech macrumors 68030

Zozah hits a 2 run homer over the center field fence. It's still the top of the 2nd inning and the score is Whiners 1 - Winners 8.

Whiners sends an emergency call to the bull pin.

9. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Whiners? Really? What, did you go to needless hyperbole college or something?

10. xraytech macrumors 68030

Yup!

Graduated with Honors. XD

In Grad School now...

11. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

LOL!!!!!!!!!

12. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

No, because I knew what I was buying when I bought it. Sure, it'd be even more useful if it had a fully functional USB port, and you could transfer files directly to your computer (USB or wireless) without going through iTunes, and a holographic display with a mind-meld user interface. But they had to draw the line somewhere, and this is what you get for $500 and today's technology. Take it or leave it.

13. HXGuy macrumors 68000

They could have made it $529 ($499 + $30 SD Card adapter now available) and Im sure it would have sold just the same but had it built in and you wouldn't have to worry about carrying one extra thing with you. As you can tell, I do wish it would have been included.

Honestly, I don't think it was about the price or the space inside the iPad (we have seen there is plenty of free space in there). I think it has more to do with leaving features out so there is something for the iPad 2.0 when that comes out. There are only so many things they can do...SD card slot, USB slot, and camera are really about the only physical things they can add to the iPad I would think.

14. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

15. VintageSlots thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments.

I didn't know asking about something that wasn't included was considered whining.

16. pooryou macrumors 65816

pooryou

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That's a loaded question. Knowing that you have no access to the file system without jailbreaking your device - no. But if iPad apps had the ability to read and right to a usb device or card, than it would be a wonderful thing to have.

18. VintageSlots thread starter macrumors member

What I was thinking is that it would be useful to have your iPad with you out on the road and be able to stick the SD card in from you camera.

You could then do things like look at the photos / video and also email them to whomever you wanted to and also post them to YouTube or upload them to Flickr.

Having access to the MobileMe iDisk would also be useful.

Seems like a really useful thing and easy to do. No need to deal with anything in the iPad file system itself.

19. gatearray macrumors 65816

Nope.

And the Camera Connection kit rocks, btw!

But I have to wonder, if you are so averse to lugging around a thin 1" square .5 ounce dock connecting dongle with you, what exactly do you plan on plugging into said dongle while you're on the go with your iPad?

It must be larger and weigh more that the CC kit, no?

20. msavwah macrumors 6502

No
    I hate sd cards and have no use for USB. If you want buy the kit.

21. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Its not about the weight or size, its about the potential to lose it since they CC kit is so small.

22. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

23. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

No way. Nice, clean look. Besides, why would you need a USB slot, other than for loading pictures? There's no file system access anyway. Just use a camera kit.