iPhone X Does anyone else finding using any other iOS device jarring after having an X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Juiceboy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Juiceboy macrumors regular

Seriously, i forget how to use my partners iPhone 8 and even worse is trying to use my ipad Mini. The X UI and gestures is just superior and more fluid to me then going back to try and use anything with a home button or confusing as hell ipad (initially) dock system. I'm sure it doesn't help i'm using an laggy iPad Mini 3 on iOS 11

2. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

i keep trying to use gestures on my iPad -.-

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It hasn't been "jarring." It has been comical at times, when I find myself treating my other devices as if they were the iPhone X.

4. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

5. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

iPad’s gestures are fine, backup iPhone 6S seems dated when I mess around on it

6. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Yeah, the home button on my iPad feels a bit primitive after not having to deal with it on my X. I wouldn’t call it jarring, but I’m looking forward to the elimination of the home button on the iPads.

7. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I tried using my wife's iPhone 7 and I kept swiping up and doing gestures and nothing was happening.

8. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

This reminds me of people saying the iPhone’s display was ‘horrible’ after using “pro motion” on the iPad Pro. Laughable.

9. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Using the home button on my iPad is a little odd feeling at times since I use my X more often (since it’s always on me)

10. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

My work phone is an iPhone 6. I constantly catch myself trying to use gestures on it.

11. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

How is that laughable?

It's much like the iPhone 4. The 3GS was fine, however when using the iPhone 4 for some time and getting used to it, it was very difficult to go back to a non-Retina screen. The difference was emphasised and what you didn't notice before then became a glaring sore thumb.

Similarly, the iPhone 6S and above are absolutely fine & capable devices. But when you go back to one of those after using the iPhone X for so long, they just seem laughable and simple - a square screen with blocks above and below and clumsy gestures with the home button.

I'm sure it's the same when going from a 120Hz screen to a 60Hz screen. It's not that the current crop is bad, it's just that the difference is incredibly noticeable when you've used something better.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would move back and forth with my 8+ and X for weeks and it was hard so I made up my mind and sold the 8+.

No regrets!

13. jbizzybeetle macrumors 6502a

My brain seems to have transitioned.

At first, in Nov., when I would go from X to orig iPad Pro, I would have to think, OK, press Home button, then step by step. Now, I pick up IPP and just go back to “the old ways” easily, back and forth.

14. Eduardboon macrumors 6502

Yes, after using the X I just don't like the 8, 7 and SE anymore. The Plus models seem too bulky with not enough screen.

I think I would rather go to a Galaxy s9+ than a non-bezelless iPhone. But not a fan of OLED since every phone I've seen shifts noticeably from yellow to red/pink to blue. I'll take an IPS model thank you very much :)

15. Kardinal1911 macrumors regular

Kardinal1911

YES!!! I was playing with my old 7+ the other day and was like “FU...k why isn’t it working” lol because I’m a gesture trained and based now.

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Agree. Guy came by with my old 7+ that I had sold him when I got my X. I sat it next to my X and compared the screens. Wow! I could barely look at the 7+, the screen was so dim with horrible low contrast, yuck! What a difference. I could never go back to an LCD screen again. The iPad really needs an OLED screen!

17. cmiller4642 macrumors regular

That's funny. I was reading my iPad in bed the other night and kept trying to swipe up from the bottom to close the internet app.

18. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Dim with horrible contrast? I don't think so. I have a 7+ and I find the screen to be bright, crisp and extremely clear. I've seen the iPhone X and I agree, it's pretty awesome. But the 7+ is awesome too. Other than all the gestures, there's nothing an X can do that the 7+ can't do...including making phone calls! LOL. Love my 7+!

19. Apple Fritter macrumors regular

Apple Fritter

I find after suffering the "superior gesture" to invoke the control center it's quite nice to get back to hold the 8(+) again.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

Using an iOs device with a home button after using the X for a while is like going back to dinosaurs and the Stone Age...

21. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Yes. My beloved iPad Air II has got to go, I am anxiously awaiting iPad X with a notch and no home button.

Give me gestures or give me death.

22. M-A-R-V Suspended

M-A-R-V

Sold my X and returned to 8Plus. Never liked the Notch and Face-I'd,

23. Ffosse macrumors 68000

Not when I use my 8 - although the 8 has a capacitive button I find it intuitive. I find the switch from the X to the iPad Pro 10.5 a little jarring, though, mainly because the button is clicky - it's just a slight disconnect on my part and is forgotten when I've spent a bit of time with the iPad.

My sense of neatness has gone, though, I wish all 3 were Face ID.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My Air 2 is absolutely performing flawless. But I agree, I’m actually holding out to see if we have a spring Keynote that will release an updated iPad with Face ID. But given that the iPad Pros just refreshed in June 2017, at the earliest for an iPad to refresh with Face ID, would not be until this Fall.

25. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I agree it will be the Autumn before we see new iPads (unless Apple throws a surprise like the SE was).